Here's a look at the 10 best gowns worn on the red carpet at the Academy Awards in the past 10 years. (photo via @lupitanyongo Instagram)

10 noteworthy Oscars gowns from the past 10 years

The red carpet at the Academy Awards is one of the most anticipated and most glamorous evenings of the year. 

But even on Hollywood’s most elegant red carpet, there are standout looks. Here are some of the most notable Oscars dresses from the past decade:

2017 — Emma Stone in Givenchy Haute Couture

Emma Stone wore an award-worthy gown last year when she received her Academy Award for Best Actress. The gown perfectly suited both her personal style and the film she starred in, La La Land.

2016 — Lady Gaga in Brandon Maxwell

Ever the rule breaker, Lady Gaga opted for a jumpsuit rather than a gown in 2016 when she received a nomination for Best Original Song.

2015 — Jennifer Lopez in Elie Saab 

Elie Saab gowns are always eye-catching with their stunning detail, and JLo herself only added to the dress’ wow factor when she wore it on the 2015 carpet.

2014 — Lupita Nyong’o in Prada

Simple but sophisticated, Lupita Nyong’o glowed in this beautiful blue Prada gown in 2014 when she took the stage to accept her award for Best Supporting Actress.

2013 — Amy Adams in Oscar de la Renta

Although the color was subtle, the full skirt of Amy Adams’ gown made her a standout on the 2013 carpet when she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress.

2012 — Jessica Chastain in Alexander McQueen

Jessica Chastain’s black gown with gold embellishments contrasted beautifully with her fair complexion and legendary red hair in 2012 when she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her role in The Help.

2011 — Mila Kunis in Elie Saab

Elie Saab’s flair for dramatic detail returns to the list of noteworthy Oscars looks with this lovely lavender gown worn by Mila Kunis in 2011. She attended that year when Black Swan was nominated for several awards, including Best Picture.

2010 — Sandra Bullock in Marchesa

Sandra Bullock shimmered in this Marchesa number as she accepted her award for Best Actress for her role in The Blind Side.

2009 — Anne Hathaway in Armani

No one wears the princess look quite like Anne Hathaway, and she looked as regal as ever in a particularly sparkly Armani gown in 2009 when she received her Best Actress nomination.

2008 — Hilary Swank in Atelier Versace

Even a decade ago, Hilary Swank looked sophisticated and modern in this black number with lace detail.

@adeichelberger

ae595714@ohio.edu