Netflix's reboot of 'Queer Eye' is not to be missed. (Photo via @queereye Instagram)

5 reasons why everyone should watch ‘Queer Eye’

When Netflix announced they’d be rebooting Bravo’s previous show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, many were skeptical. The original was deemed stereotypical by some, despite shining a light on the LGBT community. The show’s premise is that five LGBT men, dubbed the Fab Five, go and help some poor, unfortunate soul remodel their life. The five categories that the fab five members touch on are: fashion, interior design, grooming, food/wine and culture. If the premise of the show hasn’t sold you yet, here are five fabulous reasons you should watch Netflix’s reboot: 

1. The Fab Five are lovable

The reboot’s Fab Five consists of Tan France (fashion), Bobby Berk (interior design), Jonathan van Ness (grooming), Antoni Porowski (food/wine) and Karamo Brown (culture). Each guy has a different personality, yet it’s easy to fall in love with each one of them. Whether it’s Jonathon’s playful attitude or Karamo’s suave appearance, it’s 100 percent certain you’ll fall in love with something about these guys. 

2. It shines a light on the LGBT community

During the original debut of Queer Eye in 2003, mainstream media had rarely represented the LGBT community. Now the reboot shines a light on people who are LGBT in a time where being openly gay, bisexual, transgender, etc. is more acceptance, but society still has ways to go. Mainstream television doesn’t portray LGBT characters as prominently as it should, and producers often overlook the possibility to represent the community. Despite how far society has come in acceptance of LGBT individuals, shows such as Queer Eye stand as a reminder that all people, despite their sexuality, are people.

3. The show is hilarious

Queer Eye is guaranteed to make you laugh. Each of the Fab Five has their own sense of humor, and, throughout each episode, they’re constantly making jokes. The transformation process for each man can be stressful and overwhelming, so the Fab Five make the situation lighthearted. Anytime throughout an episode, you can find yourself doubling over and laughing along with the guys in the show. 

4. Everyone can get something out of the show

Now, some people may just outright say that this show isn’t for them. They’re wrong. Queer Eye has a little bit of everything. It’s funny, it’s touching and overall, it’s just entertaining to watch. You don’t necessarily have to be into fashion, cooking, etc. to love this show. Anyone watching this can get life lessons and rules to adapt to their own life. 

5. It creates dialogue on tough subjects 

Within each episode of the show, there’s an underlying topic. Whether it’s tackling acceptance people who are LGBT, being an black man in today’s society or handling self-image problems, the show puts taboo topics at the forefront. Between the Fab Five and the men they are remodeling, there’s dialogue that shows that a simple face-to-face conversation can enact some amount of change. In a country divided by race, religion and political differences, Queer Eye has shown that conversation is vital to understanding each other. It shows that despite all of the conflicts within society, that everyone is human.

@mollyschramm2

ms660416@ohio.edu