Here are 5 songs to get you in the spring spirit. (photo via Wikimedia Commons user Anita Martinz)

5 songs to spring you into the new season

Tuesday marked the beginning of the spring season. Despite the recent colder weather, it’s time for flowers to bloom and the sun to shine. As the late, great Robin Williams once said, “Spring is nature’s way of saying, ‘Let’s Party!’” so here are five songs to get you in the mood for the spring season:

1. “First Day Of My Life” — Bright Eyes

The spring season is often known as a season of rebirth. Flowers bloom again, leaves grow back on trees and some people even turn over a new leaf. Therefore, there’s nothing better to mark that rebirth than a song about the first day of one’s life. Bright Eyes’ acoustic, raw sound is perfect for listening to while spring cleaning or even just basking in the shining sun on a cool spring day. 

2. “Échame La Culpa” — Luis Fonsi and Demi Lovato

Luis Fonsi was cast into superstardom with his 2017 smash hit “Despacito (feat. Daddy Yankee).” Following up the viral success, Fonsi paired up with pop diva Demi Lovato to create a song that’s equally as catchy and suave. The two have perfect chemistry and the song is a great mix of Spanish with English. With Cinco De Mayo being celebrated May 5, the song is a great way to celebrate Latin Music and Spanish culture this spring season. 

3. “My Girl” — The Temptations

A song that almost everyone who’s been to a wedding, prom or a karaoke bar knows. It’s catchy tune and easy lyrics make it a great singalong. Singing about the month of May and sunshine when it’s rainy, it’s obvious why The Temptations song is a great pick for springtime. The song was even featured in the top 100 on Rolling Stone’s list of 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

4. “Slide (feat. Frank Ocean & Migos)” — Calvin Harris 

Calvin Harris’ 2017 radio success is a great song pick for the spring season. With its upbeat tempo and melody, it’s a song that should be blared through one’s car speakers while they drive with their windows rolled down. Whether it’s the end of the school season, the great weather or the impending summer season, spring gives you something to celebrate and dance along to, and “Slide” is a perfect song for doing so. 

5. “The Wind” — Yusuf / Cat Stevens

Though one of Stevens’ shortest songs, “The Wind” encompasses all that the spring season is. Between its melodic acoustic guitar, Stevens’ soothing vocals or the vivid imagery in the lyrics, the song mirrors the relaxing vibes of the spring season. 

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu