Check out what happened this week on 'Supernatural.' (photo via @cwsupernatural Instagram)

TV Review: ‘Supernatural’ has ‘Good Intentions’ in latest episode

Thursday’s episode of Supernatural, “Good Intentions,” featured Team Free Will racing to find Jack (Alexander Calvert) and Mary (Samantha Smith) in the alternate reality.

The episode opened with Zachariah (Chad Rook) torturing Jack in the apocalypse world. Jack was forced to see and hear Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) burn to death, but Jack didn’t break. Zachariah tried a gentler approach when Jack saw Cas (Misha Collins), who told Jack that Sam and Dean have been brainwashing him to fear his powers. Jack saw through the trap and rebelled. After seeing that, Michael (Christian Keyes), the archangel, became frustrated that Jack wasn’t breaking. 

Michael needed "the half-breed" to open up a rift that a whole army could march through. Michael threw Jack into a cell, and Jack realized Mary was in there with him. Mary and Jack met and complained they had headaches since the torture started. Mary said when she stood by the window, her headaches let up. This meant that the angel warding was so strong in the cell that both Jack and Mary suffered from headaches; the window was a break in the warding, which allowed Jack and Mary to break out.

After running for some time, Mary and Jack ran into apocalypse Bobby Singer (Jim Beaver). Bobby showed the duo mercy and brought them back to his refugee camp. Apoca-Bobby recognized Mary as Mary Campbell, meaning she didn’t marry John, didn’t have Sam or Dean, and didn’t make a bad demon deal.

Mary confessed Jack was a Nephilim, which sparked distrust from Apoca-Bobby toward Mary. Apoca-Bobby told Mary that Jack had to be gone in the morning, so she had to be gone, too. When Mary told Jack they had to leave, a bright light broke through and sirens sounded. Michael and his army found the duo. Apoca-Bobby blamed Jack for leading the angels to the camp, but Jack proved his dedication when he levitated Zachariah and disintegrated him.

In awe, and with a glimmer of hope, Apoca-Bobby thanked Jack for saving the camp. With defiance, Jack realized that he will have to kill Michael in order for the war to end.

Back in the real world, Dean, Sam and Cas continued to team up with Donatello (Keith Szarabajka) to figure out the ingredients from the Angel Tablet to open up the rift and rescue Jack and Mary. Donatello told Team Free Will he cracked the ingredients, and, after some searching, the boys had most of the ingredients except the hearts of Gog (Michael Jonsson) and Magog (Andre Tricoteux). The primordial warrior brothers trapped the half of the fertile crescent, but a priest then trapped them in a “place without a place and a time without a time.”

Dean and Cas headed out to fetch the hearts while Sam and Donatello stayed behind to round up the other ingredients. Dean and Cas ran into a problem when they killed the warriors and found that they didn’t have hearts. “He isn’t human — he appears to be a primitive beast formed of rock and sand,” Cas said.

They raced back to find Sam nursing his head with an ice pack and Donatello tied down to a chair. Donatello had snuck up behind Sam and broke a bottle over his head while he was mixing the ingredients. Team Free Will watched Donatello rant in his cell through the security camera. Cas realized Donatello didn’t want Dean and him to survive the attack; Donatello sent them on a mission kill.

In a sudden change of behavior, Sam realized that Donatello was different as a prophet because he didn’t have a soul. Cas processed this and locked himself in the room with Donatello. With Sam and Dean pounding on the door, Cas tapped into Donatello’s brain and read his mind, something he swore he would never do. 

“I’m not going to let you or anyone hurt the people I love,” Cas said. “Not again.”

The brothers were angry at Cas, but she told them Donatello was broken and a traitor.

The last scene of the episode featured Cas revealing when he read Donatello’s mind, he found out the ingredients that are required to open the rift. The ingredients were the grace of an archangel, a fruit from the Tree of Life, the Seal of Solomon and the blood of “a most holy man.”

The episode, in its entirety, provided comedic relief. For example, Dean was seen eating bacon at the beginning of the episode. When Sam warned Dean that maybe he should lay off on the bacon. Dean retorted back by saying, “If bacon’s what kills me, then I win.”

The episode also brought back the importance of family. Dean, who has not been a fan of Jack in the past, has now accepted him as part of the family. He wanted to find Jack and bring him home. Thursday was also Jensen Ackles' 40th birthday.

Supernatural airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. on The CW.

@eringardner_

eg245916@ohio.edu