Women's Golf: Ohio finishes 8th at MAC Championships

Ohio placed eighth at the Mid-American Conference Championships, its worst finish since 2013, this weekend in Naperville, Illinois. 

All three of the Bobcats' rounds were higher than the team’s average coming into the tournament. Shooting 93 over par, Ohio barely edged out Central Michigan by three strokes; Ohio's best round was the third.

Kent State cruised to its 20th straight MAC championship by 57 strokes. The Golden Flashes were the only team under par. 

Coming off an individual win in her last tournament, Emily Hughes placed 24th at 21 over par. A poor second round kept Hughes from finishing higher. She only had 29 pars on the 54 holes. Lily Pendy wrapped up her college career with a 22-over-par three-round score. She finished tied for 24th with three consistent rounds. Just behind Pendy was Nicole Smiley who tied for 26th.

As a team, Ohio struggled to make par. The Bobcats had the sixth-most birdies at the tournament. The birdies were spread out between all five golfers — each of them had at least three. 

Ashley Flynn was either under par or over par. She had the least number of pars in the entire tournament with 20, but she tied for most birdies on Ohio with five. The freshman made improvements, but she could not recover from a 16-over-par first round to finish tied for 44th at 33 over par. 

Marissa Balish could not replicate the success she had at last year’s MAC Tournament. She finished 46th. Two triple bogeys in the second round led Balish to shoot 34 over par for the tournament.

The season is now over for the Bobcats. They will return four of their five golfers next year.

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu