Sam Bello, an intern on 'Grey's Anatomy,' faced deportation, so the doctors at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital had to work to help her. (via @GreysABC on Twitter)

TV Recap: One intern faced deportation on ‘Grey’s Anatomy’

Grey’s Anatomy lost an intern in Thursday’s episode. 

An immigration and customs enforcement agent showed up to Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital to talk to Sam Bello (Jeanine Mason), the intelligent intern who dated Andrew DeLuca (Giacomo Gianniotti). Bello is a Dreamer, people under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Act. She came from El Salvador when she was a toddler. 

“I have to run,” Sam said. “I have to hide.”

The whole episode was spent trying to figure out why they wanted to talk to Bello and how they were going to help her. She couldn’t get married to a U.S. citizen because of her immigration status. One doctor suggested that she fake her death. But it was Miranda Bailey (Chandra Wilson) who saved the day.

Bailey told the agent that Bello was going to be in surgery for a while. Bailey noticed that the man had an accelerated heart rate and had an EKG done. It turned out the agent had extensive blockages and was at a high risk for heart attacks. 

“I had a heart attack a couple months ago that almost took me out of the game and left my child without a mother,” Bailey said. “Let me help.”

Before going into surgery, the agent said he had to call his office and revealed Bello broke the law by running a red light. Sam’s solution was to run, but Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo) said not to give them the satisfaction of treating her like a criminal. 

“They are treating you like a person who came here in the trunk of a car,” Meredith said. “Don’t turn into what they make you.”

In turn, Meredith got her a plane ticket to Zurich to work with Cristina Yang. 

“You’re going to love working with her,” Meredith said. “She was also the best in her class.”

Some TV shows like to ignore present-day issues, so it’s nice to see Grey’s address problems that matter. Here’s how fans reacted on Twitter:

Grey’s Anatomy airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. on ABC.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu