Joey Kessler (left) peeks around the corner as his mother, Angela, goes down the zipline during the Moms Weekend Zipline Adventure at The Ridges on Saturday.

Moms take over Athens for this year’s Moms Weekend

Moms covered the streets of Athens during this year’s Moms Weekend.

The university had a large variety of events for mothers and their children to attend over the weekend, including MomsFest — previously known as Chocolate Fest — ziplining and a choral concert. 

“We usually go get pedicures and go to breakfast,” Victoria Dickey, a mother visiting her daughter, said. “This year the girls made us breakfast. They were trying to be nice.” 

Dickey spent time with her daughter, her daughter’s roommate and other moms over the weekend. They stopped by the International Street Fair and stocked up on Moms Weekend T-shirts Saturday morning. 

“We are going out tonight and hitting up the bars,” Dickey said. “We will probably go to Pawpurrs, Pigskin and Stephen's.”

Hayden Messer, a sophomore studying education, had his mother and his aunt come visit him for the weekend. 

Messer turned 21 a couple weeks ago, and his dad and uncles came to Athens to celebrate. He felt having his mom and aunt come was only fair.

“We went to some bars last night and will go out again tonight,” Megan Talbott, Messer’s aunt, said. 

Messer and his family visited the Native American jewelry sale at The Ridges and enjoyed looking at the original pieces. 

Talbott is a mother of a 9-year-old and a 7-year-old, so the weekend was a way for her to “get away.”

“I’m just looking at this weekend as a way to spend time with my nephew,” Talbott said. “These are his last moments as a kid.” 

Damita Perry came this weekend to visit her son Tyler for the third time. She also brought her daughter along with her. 

Damita and her family went to the Native American jewelry sale and bought a ring. She tries to buy something special when she visits her son.

“College is a good time for students, and we just like to support him,” Perry said. 

Damita also likes to visit the Kennedy Museum of Art, 100 Ridges Circle, because of the art and history of the building. 

“I like to see the art and the history of the building, and the fact that this used to be a hospital for the mentally ill is interesting,” Damita said. “I can see it and feel it.”

Tyler, a senior studying nursing, loves it when his mom comes down to Athens, but he said the weekend can get a little crazy. 

The traffic moving around town is hard and sometimes even impossible to navigate, Tyler said. 

“It can just be a lot of people,” Tyler said. “I had to reroute my way to get home.”

Tyler, his mother and sister went to a magic show Saturday night called Masters of the Mind. They were also planning to see a movie after the show.

“Spending time together is the most important,” Damita said. 

@jess_umbarger 

ju992415@ohio.edu