Men's Golf: Facing stiff competition, Ohio finishes last in final tuneup for MAC Championships

Facing a tough field, Ohio came in last with only one person finishing in the top 45 over the weekend at the Stitch Intercollegiate in Cary, North Carolina. 

Ohio was unable to match the low scores that other teams were putting up — six teams finished under par for the tournament.

Ohio, who shot 47 over par as a team, was very far off the winning score of 36 under par by Duke. Ohio struggled to shoot par on holes, with the lowest number of pars in the tournament and the second-lowest number of birdies. A third of the birdies were scored by one player, Zach Crawford.

Ohio was near the top of the leaderboard for eagles in the tournament with four, the second-most.

Crawford was the best-performing Bobcat, shooting one over par for the tournament to tie for 27th. For the first time in his career, the freshman had two rounds under par. He had 12 birdies over the three rounds and shot even on par 4 holes.

Zach Mandry saved his best round for last, shooting one over par, which was helped by an eagle. He finished 14 over par for the tournament to tie for 62nd.

The level of success differed, but every team was able to find some success on par 5 holes. Ohio was the closest to par at only two under par, while Duke led the tournament being 39 under par. 

The first round started well for Tommy Nettles as he made two eagles to have a one-over-par round. Over the next two rounds, Nettles shot 19 over par to finish tied for 66th.

Tied with Nettles was Ben Sattler with his highest score of the year. All three rounds for Sattler were consistent but still above his season average.

Brady Bohl continued to have high rounds as he was 23 over par for the tournament and finished in last place, 66th.

Tanner Johnson was unable to help the Bobcats; he competed as an individual. Having three consistent rounds helped Johnson shoot seven over par and finish tied for 47th.

In his other two tournaments this year, Johnson struggled to put together consistent rounds, shooting at least one round of nine over par.

Ohio now has two weeks to prepare for the Mid-American Conference Championships on April 27-29 in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu