Ohio infielder Mikayla Cooper swings during the Bobcats' game against Central Michigan on Friday.

Softball: Mikayla Cooper uses confidence to hit anywhere in the lineup

Mikayla Cooper loves inspirational quotes.

Her Twitter bio contains her favorite: “What defines us is how well we rise after failing.”

Quotes like that could help her have the confidence she does at the plate. Or maybe that confidence comes naturally.

Cooper, a senior infielder, knows that when she walks to the plate, she can hit what the pitcher throws her. That’s confidence.

A mentality like that has allowed coach Jodi Hermanek to move Cooper throughout the lineup this season. Cooper has batted third, second and leadoff at different points this season. 

“It’s more of a ‘try and beat me’ mentality,” Cooper said. 

The Bobcats struggled with early offensive production in the nonconference portion of the season. When Hermanek moved Cooper up in the lineup, offensive production — especially in the first inning — ramped up.

Cooper hit two leadoff home runs in the first Mid-American Conference series against Central Michigan. She has added two more since then. 

She has eight total on the season. Cooper, however, hasn’t always been a power hitter. 

She used to be a slap hitter. Assistant coach Jeremy Manley helped Cooper make the transition into someone who drives the ball for power.

It started with training. She lost 30 pounds in the offseason, became leaner and more trim. Then, Manley worked on her already strong plate mentality to push her over the edge. 

“I’ve always been confident at the plate,” Cooper said. “This year, it’s more mean. Like come on, you can’t beat me.”

Transitioning to become a more powerful hitter allows for the lineup flexibility that Cooper provides Hermanek. 

Hermanek isn’t someone that believes in the stereotype that hitting in a certain position can hold. Leadoff hitters are supposed to see pitches and aren’t power hitters. Hermanek wants to see her team get off to an early start, and having someone like Cooper batting first is perfect for Hermanek’s vision.

She knows that she wouldn’t want to face the top of her lineup.

“I would not want to pitch to (Cooper) and (Alex Day) together,” Hermanek said. “That’s a lot of pressure coming out of the gate, that’s what we want to apply.”

An old adage says hitting is contagious and that’s something Cooper believes. She is looking to get on base to set up her teammates, especially in her new role as leadoff hitter. When she gets on base, Day, the No. 2 hitter, will find a way to get on. Katie Yun, a freshman who has found herself in the third spot in the lineup, can drive them in. 

Cooper, confident as always, loves first pitch strikes. If it’s there, she wants to hit it. If she hits it, it might go a long way. That mentality doesn’t change no matter where she’s hitting.

“If it’s there, I’m going to go for it,” she said. 

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu