April Kepner (Sarah Drew) got into a car crash on the latest episode of 'Grey's Anatomy.' (via @thesarahdrew on Instagram)

One ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ character gets into a car crash

Grey’s Anatomy is known for putting the surgeons at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital through traumatic events. The characters have had near-death experiences in almost every mode of transportation, and in Thursday’s episode, April Kepner (Sarah Drew) almost died in a car crash. 

Matthew Taylor (Justin Bruening), April’s ex-fiance, was brought in on an ambulance and was in pretty bad shape. Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo) was working on him and he started talking about April.

“April? She’s here? She’s OK? She warned me about a curve,” he said before he went unconscious. 

It appears the two of them were riding in the same car, so Owen Hunt (Kevin McKidd) went to the scene of the crash to look for her. Sure enough she was lying halfway down a ravine, beat up and hypothermic. 

She was brought back to the hospital and everyone rallied around her. The doctors did compressions on her for three hours, and when it looked like there was no hope, her heart finally started beating. But her brain waves were still weak. 

Miranda Bailey (Chandra Wilson) waited to tell Jackson Avery (Jesse Williams) because he was dealing with patients of his own. Jackson was given some alone time with April, which prompted him to pray despite his lack of faith. 

“I believe in you,” Jackson said. “I’ll do anything you want. Don’t take her away, OK? Don’t take April, please.”

Then she squeezed his hand. 

“You prayed for me, and it worked. Haha,” April said to Jackson.

Owen was the last to leave the room and before he left, she said, “You always come and bring me back.”

This brings April’s storyline to a close, along with Arizona Robbins (Jessica Capshaw), who confirmed that Matthew and April have been seeing each other for several months. It hasn’t been said what April will do after leaving, but Arizona will help Nicole Herman (Geena Davis) run a women’s health center in New York so she can be close to Callie and take Sophia back.

It has been awhile since Grey’s Anatomy united all of the characters together like this, and it seemed like a fitting way to begin to say goodbye to two of Grey Sloan’s best

Here’s how the fans reacted to the emotional episode on Twitter:

The Grey’s Anatomy season finale will air at 8 p.m. Thursday on ABC

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu