DL Knock (left) and Cameron Odom embrace after Odom's 4th quarter touchdown during Ohio University's game against Purdue University on September 9, 2017. (FILE)

Ohio Bobcats 2018 position group preview: Wide receivers

This is the third in a series of previews, which will cover nine Ohio position groups ahead of the 2018 season. The Bobcats start the season on Sept. 1 at Peden Stadium against Howard. For more, check The Post in the coming weeks.

Aug. 20: Quarterbacks | Aug. 21: Running backs | Aug. 22: Receivers | Aug. 23: Tight ends | Aug. 24: Offensive line | Aug. 25: Defensive line | Aug. 26: Linebackers | Aug. 27: Defensive backs | Aug. 28: Specialists 

Today’s position: Wide receivers

Projected starters: Andrew Meyer (redshirt senior), Cam Odom (redshirt sophomore), Papi White (redshirt sophomore). 

Key backups: DL Knock (redshirt junior), Keevon Harris (redshirt sophomore), Markel Davis (redshirt sophomore), Bryan Long (redshirt sophomore), Shane Hooks (freshman). 

Breakdown: There’s a rhetorical question that Ohio wide receivers coach Dwayne Dixon asks almost every time him wide receivers approach the line of scrimmage. It’s to remind them of what they need and then to gauge the mindset of his wide receivers. Dixon is about to enter his 11th season on the staff, so he can usually tell when his guys are in their own heads, or if they need a nudge in the right direction.

“Who are you?”

A year ago at this time, it was difficult to know for sure what the team was going to get from its receivers. Ohio had only three wideouts with game experience returning, and those receivers brought back a combined 50 receptions, 732 yards and six touchdowns. Papi White accounted for all six touchdowns and 672 yards. 

Now a year removed, the Bobcats seem to be back in a much better position. With the help of strong play at the quarterback position from Nathan Rourke, the Bobcats’ wide receivers established themselves in 2017. This year, the starting trio of White, Cam Odom and Andrew Meyer collectively bring back 91 receptions, 1,422 yards and eight touchdowns.

The stats may look the same from 2016, but the trust between quarterback and wide receivers seems much stronger and healthier. 

“I feel good about the number of guys who can make plays for us,” Dixon said in early August. “We’re really happy about our young guys energy. They all have unique, special abilities to the table. My job is to make sure they’re utilized. Really feel good about the arsenal we have, we have more than one guy the defense has to worry about.”

Each of Ohio’s three starters has his own skill set. White is viewed as the team’s No. 1 and one of the top receivers in the Mid-American Conference. At 5-foot-9, he has a speed advantage over nearly every defensive back he lines up against. He has a knack for targeting the ball at his highest point, and he routinely leaped around defenders in the red zone last season. White also found success on a few end-around players last season. For his play last year, he earned second-team All-MAC honors, and will look to build upon that in 2018.

Then there’s Meyer, the go-to guy for Rourke in the Bobcats’ attack. The two had a knack for finding each other in key situations, specifically third downs. Teammates say he does a little bit of everything, and he has the stats and film to back it up. He was Ohio’s third-leading receiver, with 35 receptions for 483 yards and two scores. 

The youngest of the bunch, and maybe the guy with the most potential, is Cam Odom. The fourth-leading receiver from last year’s team, Odom struggled at time, but still caught a game-winning touchdown in overtime against Eastern Michigan. He’s the tallest of the starters and the one who can stretch the field. He’s the closest the Bobcats have to being a deep threat. 

For all the talk of the offensive weapons Ohio returns and the things the team can accomplish this season, there’s plenty of room to improve. The Bobcats led the conference in points scored last season, but finished in the lower third in passing offense with just 2,451 yards. Not a single receiver finished in the top 10 of receptions or receiving yards per game. Another year of chemistry with Rourke and more game experience should improve that. 

“We've got two seniors in Papi White and Andrew Meyer. Cam Odom too, he's had some huge moments for us,” offensive coordinator Tim Albin said at the Bobcats’ media day. "Those three guys have a lot of experience as wideouts. The next guy in line getting reps will be D.L. Knock. Behind that, you've got 10 to 12 guys who are all sophomores and freshmen."

Position battle to watch: When you return 15 total starters — 8 on offense — it removes much of the suspense from camp position battles.

That’s the case at wide receiver, as the top three spots are set. If one of the starters suffer an injury, though, there are players to watch behind them on the depth chart. DL Knock and Markel Davis appear to be the most game-ready outside of the top three. Knock played in all 12 games but finished with just four receptions and a touchdown. 

Keevon Harris could be in the mix as well. A former three-star recruit who didn’t see the field much last season due to injury has been healthy all throughout camp. 

Best-case scenario: The three starting receivers each have great seasons. White finally eclipses the 1,000 yard mark and Meyer continues to be the go-to option for Rourke. Odom develops into the threat the Bobcats need him to be, which completely opens up the passing game, letting the running game struggle at times and it being OK. The backups grow and can make an impact late in the season. 

Worst-case scenario: Odom doesn’t show the qualities needed and either Meyer or White are injured for a lengthy period of time. Knock is the only backup to show he’s capable of playing every down and Rourke can’t establish a good passing game consistently. The Bobcats then become a one-dimensional team to cover on defense.

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu