Vera Giacomazzi sets the ball during the game against Buffalo on October 28, 2017. (FILE)

Volleyball: Ohio goes 1-2 at Sports Imports Classic in Columbus

Ohio opened up its 2018 season Friday and Saturday at the Sports Imports Classic in Columbus. The Bobcats lost their first two games against Texas A&M and Ohio State, respectively, but escaped the weekend with their first win of the season against Albany.

Jimerson's hot start

Tia Jimerson wasted no time in letting future opponents know that this season won't be much different than last.

Jimerson, who earned Mid-American Conference Freshman of the Year in 2017, helped push Ohio through some of its early season growing pains in the first three games. The sophomore led the Bobcats with 14 kills and garnered a .300 hitting percentage in Ohio's loss to Texas A&M on Friday.

After a low, six-kill performance against Ohio State, Jimerson stepped up to help the Bobcats earn their first win of the season. The middle blocker rebounded with a team-leading 16 kills in Saturday's second game against Albany.

Kosiorek returns to the court

Before Friday, Jamie Kosiorek spent 360 days away from game action on a volleyball court.

The outside hitter, whose 1,038 kills rank ninth in the rally scoring era in Ohio history, missed her senior season after sustaining an ACL injury in just the fourth match of the year.

Kosiorek, back after receiving a medical redshirt for last year, showed flashes of the dominance that highlights her past — she hit the winning kill that defeated Texas A&M in a tightly-contested first set Friday and notched 13 kills in Saturday's win.

She also had some growing pains.

Kosiorek finished Friday with a -.056 hitting percentage and ended the weekend with a team-worst 10 service errors.

It certainly wasn't perfect, but Kosiorek slowly seemed to return to her old self with each match. Her negative hitting percentage Friday climbed to .136 percent and .267 percent, respectively, on Saturday.

Freshmen debuts

Ohio's roster boasts depth, and a strong (if you ask coach DeaneWebb) freshmen class is a big reason why. Webb believes some players are capable of playing in the rotation if needed. 

Three of Ohio's five true freshmen made their debuts this weekend.

Emily Walsh led the freshmen with six appearances and showcased her talents as a promising setter. The Allen, Texas, native also tallied a team-leading 12 assists and two service aces in her debut against Ohio State.

Lauren Park appeared in four sets, earning four kills and six errors in 17 attempts. Ila Angermeier also appeared in one set and made two kills and an error in five attempts.

Match 1

Winner: Texas A&M (24-26, 25-18, 25-17, 25-16)

-Macy Reining led Ohio with 12 digs.

-Hollann Hans (Texas A&M) amassed 20 kills.

Match 2

Winner: Ohio State (25-14, 25-22, 25-11)

-Jimerson and Kosiorek led Ohio with just six kills each.

-Ohio State totaled an outstanding .438 hitting percentage.

Match 3

Winner: Ohio (20-25, 25-23, 25-19, 25-18)

-Giacomazzi totaled 49 assists.

-Albany mustered a low .136 hitting percentage.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu