The Athens County Board of Elections, located at 15 S.Court St., in Athens, Ohio. (FILE)

Allison Russo, Mike Carey emerge as primary winners in Ohio's 15th Congressional District special election primaries

Editor’s Note: This story will be updated as more election information becomes available.

Ohio’s 15th Congressional District special election primaries on Tuesday night revealed Mike Carey as the winner for the Republican Party and Allison Russo as the winner for the Democratic Party. 

The special election will determine the representative who will fill former Rep. Steve Stivers’, R-Upper Arlington, position in Congress. Stivers resigned earlier this year to become the president and CEO of the Ohio Chamber of Commerce. This change went into effect May 16, according to a previous Post report.

Russo led the democratic election with 85.11% of votes. Whereas Carey led the republican election with 38.04% of votes, according to unofficial results for Athens County from the Board of Elections.

“I am honored to have their (voters) support and now be the Democratic nominee in this critical special election,” Russo said in a statement. “I got into this race in May because working Ohioans deserve an independent voice fighting for them in Congress. I am deeply grateful to all the voters who are putting their trust in me to fight for them in Washington.”

Russo also congratulated her fellow democratic candidate on campaigning thoughtfully.

“Tonight, Republicans across Ohio’s 15th Congressional District sent a clear message to the nation that President Donald J. Trump is, without a doubt, the leader of our party,” Carey said in an Instagram post. “To the Republican voters of this district - thank you. I am truly humbled that you have entrusted me with this responsibility and I promise to be the fighter that you deserve in Congress.”

Additionally, Carey thanked his fellow opponents for running admirable races.

Former president Donald Trump has also released a statement congratulating Carey and his family for the primary win.

The final race for Ohio’s 15th district representative will be held Nov. 2. To register to vote visit Ohio’s voter registration website.

@AnnaMillar16

am157219@ohio.edu