Golf takes shot at Penn State

Golf teams participating in this weekend's Rutherford Invitational at Penn State's Blue Course might as well tee it up for second place.

The Penn State men's golf team has won its own tournament 12 consecutive times.

We've seen Penn State the last couple of weeks

and they've just kind of nosed us out Ohio coach Bob Cooley said. They're just almost impossible to beat on their home course.

That stat is sticking in the minds of Ohio golfers not because of the dominance but because of the purpose of the trip to State College. While it would be nice to finish high on the leaderboard, Cooley said this tournament is a warm up for the Mid-American Conference Championships and yet one more chance to fine tune golf swings.

We're just going over to give them competition so they don't have a week off he said. We're taking a couple of different guys to change things up a little bit.

Golfers Jon Johasky and Ryan Siekmann are staying in Athens in favor of Brian Elsea and Kyle Thomas. Going along with them are Brian Bickle, Mark Cimarolli and Blake Russell.

Last week, at Akron's First Energy Intercollegiate, Cimarolli both put down a performance that could be considered the best of the season, tying for 13th with a 1-over 217. Bickle said Cimarolli's game pleasantly surprised him because of the rainy conditions and the difficulty of Firestone Country Club.

Mark is from Pittsburgh

and he played his high school matches there

so he's basically going home. That should help us out there

Bickle said.

The Bobcats tee off on the 6,535-yard par 72 Blue Course in the first round today at 7:30 a.m. The second and third rounds are Saturday and begin at 8 a.m.

Women's golf gets two on MAC All-Academic Team

Two players from the Ohio women's golf team were placed on the MAC All-Academic team, the conference office announced yesterday.

Seniors Ashley McCall and Cari Mozingo received the award after carrying a GPA higher than 3.20 and playing in at least 50 percent of the competitive matches.

McCall has a 3.99 GPA in as an accounting and finance major while Mozingo has a 3.58 in middle childhood education.

17

Archives

Laurie Duffy