Overhaul of rules tweaks sport

Golfers heading to their respective tee times might want to do a bit of reading before starting their round this year.

The United States Golf Association and the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, which have been collaborating to clarify and create the rules of golf since 1952, gave the 30th addition of The Rules of Golf its greatest overhaul in 20 years. The rules became effective as of Jan. 1 of this year.

We have been writing the rules for 260 years now

said John Morrissett, USGA Director of Etiquette and a rules official. You would like to think that we are making progress and hopefully this year's changes will be viewed as a cleanup and not overly significant. We want people to be able to watch a tape of the 2003 Open and the upcoming 2004 Open and not see any difference.

From simple clarifications, such as specifications of tee size, to simplified language used in The Rules of Golf, some major changes have been made to the actual rules themselves.

Ohio golf coach Bob Cooley said that rule changes might not be as significant to the average golfer as the numerous press releases and exposure by the USGA makes them appear to be.

The rules are pretty much the same Cooley said. Nothing too major was changed. Mostly it is a case of getting things organized and everyone playing under one rule.

Notable changes to the rules include an amendment to Rule 23-1. Now golfers can remove loose impediments, such as sticks and leaves, from their putting line by any means if the debris is not pressed down.

Removal of impediments off the green no longer counts as an automatic penalty in either stroke or match play if a ball moves after the obstruction is removed, as long as it is within a club length.

Rule 33-7 has been amended and expanded to allow a local committee the ability to disqualify a golfer in a tournament due to breaches in etiquette. The fact that breaches is plural is significant because committees will not be able to disqualify first-time offenders.

This is the one rule that has been blown out of proportion thus far

Morrissett said. We have tried to make it clear that only people who make significant infractions or repeat offenses will be disqualified. The simple act of slamming a club into the ground once will not get a player disqualified.

Two new equipment amendments have been incorporated into the rules as well and will take effect after a grace period, which ends Dec. 31 of this year. The size of club heads has been given strict dimension restrictions and all club lengths, with the exception of putters, now have a limit of 48 inches.

I think it's a good idea

Cooley said. People playing with illegal clubs know they check and may get caught

but most players steer clear of that. The ball goes far enough already

and the clubs are starting to look less traditional.

Amateurs now will be able to take home merchandise prizes and awards with retail prices up to $750, an increase of $250 from $500 prizes of years past. If players do not follow that rule, their amateur status could be in jeopardy. The change is one of few that will affect collegiate golfers, Cooley said.

They play in amateur events

Cooley said. Of course

they have to take the prize in merchandise or gift certificates from organizations or to golf courses to keep NCAA status. Mostly the change is to keep up with inflation.

In a game prided on tradition, class and etiquette, the new Rules of Golf is as essential to a golf bag as extra balls, tees and those golf club covers that look like a tiger. So before teeing off in 2004, read up or risk breaching etiquette.

17