Valley View provides history, scenery, beautiful course

LANCASTER - Valley View Golf Club might be noted for its scenic views of Fairfield County and its signature 17th hole, but it also is recognized in golf circles as one of the few family-owned and operated courses in Ohio.

For nearly 50 years, the George family has run the club, first as a nine-hole course, then as a full 18-hole course after adding the back nine in 1963. Bill George designed the front nine in 1952, using the natural terrain, and began construction in 1956. Today, his son, Cory, is the club's owner and head PGA professional.

This was a family farm for almost 200 years

Cory said. (For) 202 years we've owned this property. The house where my grandma lived is the oldest house in Fairfield County.

Golfers can enjoy the history of the course - it was built over Zane's Trace, the first road constructed in the state - while playing at rates competitive with other area courses. A round of 18 during the week runs $27.50 with a cart, $16.50 without.

The course itself is lined with mature trees, a result of the course's age and history, and features a number of ponds, including one rather strategically placed pond on the 17th hole.

Running at 382 yards from the white tees, the 17th boasts a 270-yard approach shot to the pond and a severe two-tiered green directly behind the water. Depending on shot position, golfers can be left with an uphill putt or a wet ball.

It's pond then green club assistant pro Levi Guthridge said. It's pretty challenging. You hear lots of swearing on that hole.

John McGushin and Brian Shonk, both of Lancaster, played the course weekly during the 2003 season and said the 17th was both challenging and fun to play.

It's a mind game with your second shot over water

McGushin said.

The course conditions and scenery also are reasons the golfers enjoyed playing the course, he said.

Scenery (is great)

but you're probably not supposed to enjoy that when you're playing

McGushin said. The course conditions are usually pretty good. They take care of the course.

Course superintendent Brad Roush is among those responsible for Valley View's exceptional maintenance. Golfers will note the greens are consistent and well manicured and contain very few ball marks. The greens feature bent grass, while the fairways are a mix of rye and bluegrass mowed closely enough to read the yardage markers on the sprinkler heads.

Valley View's most remarkable feature might not even be part of the course, though. Standing at the foot of George Road, aptly named for the club's founding family, is Pleasant Valley Methodist Church, the epitome of a white wedding chapel.

My grandmother donated that land for the church

Cory said. It's pretty close to the middle of the golf course. We have quite a few members who go to that church.

Golfers pass the church when crossing George Road from the rather flat front nine to the hillier back nine.

A lot of people like to ride the back

Guthridge said. You don't want to walk the back. It's a pretty demanding golf course

probably the hardest public golf course around.

Playing 6,321 yards from the white tees, 6,029 from the gold tees and 5,706 from the red tees, Valley View provides the golfer a memorable aesthetic experience on the links and offers a useful lesson in Ohio history.

17