Ambassador visits OU, speaks about democracy

Kicking off the 23rd International Week at Ohio University, South African ambassador to the United States Barbara Masakela informed her audience on the process of democracy in South Africa.

Masakela, an OU graduate, has assumed the role of ambassador since June of 2003. Her speech, titled South Africa: 10 years of Democracy

served as an update on South Africa's past decade of freedom.

In the grand scheme of things having the ambassador of South Africa as our keynote speaker is a plus said Alan Boyd, director of International Student Services.

Masakela began with the importance of globalization creating a mutually beneficial market for all countries involved. She said it is not only about Americans trading with South Africa, but creating good business with other countries instead of simply doing favors.

Prior to the institution of democracy, South Africa was immersed in race hatred, division and violence. Masakela said the fundamental challenge is to effectively translate the mandates against slavery and colonization.

Our greatest wealth of our country is our people

said Masakela.

In the past 10 years, South Africa has transformed an unstable and weak economy into a country pushing for black economic empowerment. This means improving skills in human development, employment rates and economic opportunities. Masakela said the number of women employed has increased as well.

Masakela said education is South Africa's single largest budget item.

Our top priority is the systematic attack on unemployment

Masakela said. $14.7 billion has been put towards providing jobs and improving the economic infrastructure and improving (job) skills.

Masakela said education is free to the public in South Africa, and school enrollment is up to 85 percent.

Another top priority is HIV/AIDS treatment. Masakela said it is important to make sure the 40 million out of 45 million who do not have HIV, remain that way.

The goal is to emerge out of the HIV/AIDS epidemic by improving health care and living standards for all

Masakela said.

Masakela said the importance is not to distribute drugs that will not necessarily cure HIV/AIDS, but to decrease poverty and provide adequate sanitation. She said new government programs have been put in place to make more affordable drugs available to 56,000 people by the end of the year.

Masakela concluded her speech by saying that change is not an event, but a process that can move in the right direction with United States' support.

We have done better than most

but we have not done enough

said Masakela.

Cami Thompson, an OU graduate student, said she came to the ambassador's speech because she is going to intern in South Africa this summer.

I really wanted to get involved with the International Week

and I thought the ambassador's visit was pretty convenient

she said. The first part of the speech was very political

but I thought the questionnaire session brought out some interesting points.