Baseball tripped up at home

He might have dreamt it, but he certainly never expected it.

A year ago, Yale Silverman was taking the hill for the Ohio club baseball team. He started for Ohio again yesterday, but this time it was a little different. After two years of playing club baseball, Silverman is now a member of Ohio's (18-24 overall, 9-9 Mid-American Conference) Division I NCAA team, where he made his first collegiate start yesterday in a 6-1 loss against Virginia Tech (25-20, 10-10 Big East) at Bob Wren Stadium.

Silverman (1-2) threw 6 1-3 innings yesterday against the Hokies, allowing four runs on six hits in a spot start, replacing the injured Zeke Isaacs.

He threw better the last time out

but he came in and gave us 6 1-3 innings so he did a pretty good job Ohio coach Joe Carbone said.

The junior tried out and was cut during his freshman and sophomore years at Ohio, but, as they say, the third time's a charm.

I said that I was going to try out all four years

and if they kept me one year that'd be good. But this was more than I ever expected

Silverman said. Even this year

I was kind of excited. I thought that I would be on the team just to throw batting practice and that kind of stuff. I was just happy to be part of it. As much as I've gotten to throw so far this year

it's been a lot of fun for me.

Yesterday's affair marked Silverman's sixth appearance in a Bobcat uniform. While he was pinned with the loss yesterday, he does have a win and a save to his credit this season.

He's kind of got a funky motion

kind of screws the hitters up

Carbone said. He gives you a little elbow

knee

hips. He throws breaking balls for strikes and throws from different angles a little bit