Businesses come and go in Athens

While East State Street expansion during past years has increased, few Uptown businesses are following suit.

We had the opportunity for space from our landlord that we didn't know when we would get again

said Nancie Buerkel, an owner of Casa Nueva, 4 W. State St.

Casa Nueva, Casa Cantina and the future Bodega are part of a worker-owned corporation consisting of more than 20 owners. A loyal local following, supporting local markets, good planning and customer relations are attributed to the success of the restaurant, Buerkel said.

Casa Cantina is expanding its bar by 30 percent to create more space for dancing and bands.

Future businesses are on the horizon, but prospective retailers tread carefully when coming to Athens.

These people are always very cautious when coming into the community -there are many things that go into it before coming in said Alan Geiger, president of the Economic Development Council for The Athens Area Chamber of Commerce. East State Street and Columbus Road have buildings being built and growth occurring.

East State Street additions in the past few years include Damon's, Ruby Tuesday, Petland, First National Bank, a new Ohio University Credit Union, Burger King, Wal-Mart, Staples, Rio Grande, BioLife, ALDI, Arby's, Bath and Body Works, We're Rolling Pretzels, Maurices, Dollar General, Grand China Buffet and Hibbett Sporting Goods, said Larry Payne, chamber president.

The Cat's Meow, 5 Mill St., a business that opened in the fall, specializes in intimate apparel. Owner Cat L'Heureux said she saw a need for their product in Athens.

The store has been doing great as far as new business. We're going to be here for a long time

said store manager Jenni Wooten.

There are no specific tactics businesses use to create a customer following.

You have to make sure you are cross-marketing the community

as well as the student population

said Viviane Herbert, manager of Athens Underground, 90 N. Court St. People leave Athens to go shop

and you have to remember that people from other places like Marietta and Lancaster come here to shop. We keep things interesting and appealing to a wider variety of people.

One business that might change, but not leave, is Tomatillos Restaurant, 20 W. Stimson Ave. The establishment is for sale by owner Mark Bernards.

I'm trying to get out of the business for personal reasons. I've been in the food business for 24 years and it's tough

he said. There are a lot of parts I like

but the four months out of the year when students are gone are hard.

There has been interest from possible buyers, but a decision has not yet been made, he said.

17