Caffeine consumption jump starts the heart

Journalism professor Bill Reader stood before his 8 a.m. class last week and, between sips of coffee, addressed the students before him, How many of you drink coffee?

A handful of students raised their hands, and before Reader continued his lesson, he shook his head, telling students they needed to start, that coffee is the drink of the trade.

People across the country and across Ohio University's campus rely on coffee and caffeine in various other forms to jump start their days and keep them going through the long hours of class and work. However, the caffeine found in coffee, soda, energy drinks, chocolate and other substances brings major concerns to those who consume these items in excess.

One of the biggest things is the increase in heart rate

said OU nutrition counselor Mary Frances Astrom of the concerns with caffeine. The reason caffeine is used in energy drinks is because it increases your heart rate and that increase is used for more energy she said.

Astrom continued, calling this use of the heart not effective. She said too much caffeine can lead to heart problems like arrhythmia or irregular heart beats.

Another concern people face in consuming too much caffeine is dehydration. Because it speeds a person's system up, caffeine leads to an increase in urination, which flushes the person's system, causing dehydration.

That's a big concern -especially with hot weather and exercising

Astrom said.

Sophomore Brittany Eaton said she drinks both coffee and energy drinks to help herself stay awake. I don't sleep well

Eaton said. She added that caffeine keeps her from taking naps; that way, she finds it easier to fall asleep at night. She also relies on caffeine when she has to get through early classes.

Although Eaton was not aware of the major concerns brought on by caffeine, she said, I'm definitely dehydrated. As a result, she drinks more water along with the caffeine.

17

Archives

Katie Brandt