Chamber of commerce fills economic job

A search committee for the Athens Area Chamber of Commerce has hired a new president of the Economic Development Council and CEO of the chamber from a pool of 12 applicants.

Jennifer Simon will fill the position June 21 that was left by former CEO Fred Baughman. Baughman left the position after two years to work in Indiana.

Simon, who is the first woman hired as the economic development director, will make an annual salary of $67,000.

A graduate of Ohio University, Simon said at a press conference yesterday that she is excited to be back working in Athens County.

My ultimate vision is to move us out of the economic distress that we're in

bringing the poverty rate down and employment up she said.

Information technology is one area Simon said she wants to pursue, saying Athens is poised to have a regional technology presence because of OU and Hocking College.

The county also needs to focus on advanced manufacturing jobs, which means looking at a corporation's progression and then injecting robotics and technology to make them more efficient, she said.

Alan Geiger, search committee and economic development chair, said the chamber and Economic Development Council's three goals are the retention, expansion and recruitment of business.

When asked about business development Uptown, Simon said she and chamber president Larry Payne will sit down and think about working on and beefing up any plans for the Uptown area, which she says has improved in the last 10 years.

Simon has been working as the assistant director of the Governor's Office of Appalachia since 1999. She served as interim director after Joy Padgett resigned as director in January to take a seat in the Ohio Senate.

She brings with her a lot of experience and great contacts from around the state said Valerie Kinnard, board of directors chair for the chamber. She has a wonderful level of energy that I think she'll inject into economic development.

Simon earned an associate's degree in liberal arts from Washington State Community College, a bachelor's degree in political science and a master's degree in public administration from OU.

I'm most looking forward to the assets the community has to offer. There are so many incredible organizations working for the same goal

she said.

-Lindsey Nelson contributed to this story

17

Archives

Casey Clapper

20040526734midsize.jpg

Jennifer Simon talks to reporters at the Athens Area Chamber of Commerce yesterday. Simon was named president of the chamber's Economic Development Council.