Date set for bids on restoration

At yesterday's Athens County Commissioner's meeting, Vice President of Historical Design William Kunkle, set a date for the first bids on the restoration of the Athens Courthouse.

Kunkle said he would like to see most of the construction that will be done around sidewalks, such as overhang work, brick work and roofing to be completed over the summer (by Sept. 7), so the majority of the Ohio University students will be gone.

The commissioners will be accepting bids on May 25 at 10:15 a.m. In bid specifications, the contractor must start construction in seven days and be finished with the project by the end of 2004.

Fourteen different grant sources are being used to pay for the courthouse renovations, said Commissioner Bill Theisen.

In other news:

-Supervisor Doug Stanley from Tri-County Community Action requested permission to apply for a Community Housing Improvement Program (CHIP) grant. The deadline is June 1. Tri-County Community Action will not know the exact amount of the grant until it is awarded to them.

-The Village of Glouster received a community stress-planning grant for $15,000, which will be used for home repair and private rehabilitation. Stanley said he thinks the grant must be matched dollar for dollar by the county.

-Joe Kasler submitted a proposal to have a public hearing at the commissioner's office. The hearing will take place June 29 at 6 p.m. The meeting will discuss what Malcolm Pirnie and associates have been doing to improve the conditions of land fills in Athens.

17 Archives

Nicole Bonomini