Dunces Debate: Buckeye star must consider next move

by Kyle Jepson

The ongoing debate about what Maurice Clarett should do involves many options. Should he continue to pursue the NFL? Should he play arena or Canadian football? If it's even an option, should he return to the college level?

Personally, I don't think any of these are good decisions for a running back with the attitude of Terrell Owens and the durability of Ki-Jana Carter.

The man couldn't even make it through a season of college football. Granted, he did play in the hard-hitting Big Ten, a league known for smash-mouth football. But the hardest hit he felt in college won't even be an average hit in the pros.

And sorry, Clarett, the Bengals aren't into drafting busts anymore.

But clearly he isn't concerned with pursuing something he would be successful at. So, here's a list of other jobs I feel he is equally qualified for.

Used car salesman: In January Clarett pleaded guilty to exaggerating the value of some items stolen from a car (that wasn't even his, by the way). Jacking up prices and overcharging people will go a long way in this business.

Banker: Last year Clarett accepted money from a friend of the family (and, of course, lied about it). But, as long as he enjoys taking other people's money so graciously, why not allow him to do it for a living. Someone will just have to remind him that the money handed to him is not his to spend.

A recruiting agent for Jim Tressel: He really knows how to surround himself with high-class individuals. And since Tressel is bent on recruiting these kinds of guys (14 arrests of Ohio State players in the past two years), Clarett could really provide some insight.

McDonald's: Flippin' burgers is always a safe job. And he won't be tempted to sue the company because those little Styrofoam cups already have the Warning: contents hot label on them. Sorry, Clarett, somebody already beat you to the punch.

by Kevin Wiseman

I don't know about you, but I don't want Maurice Clarett taking my order at a fast food place. He would definitely going to mess up my order.

Clarett needs to stick with what he does best, playing football, and there is no better place for him to go than the Arena Football League.

Clarett has to stay away from the Canadian Football League. He would be playing in obscurity up there; nobody will ever see him play. Plus, it's really cold up there. Clarett needs a national spotlight, and the AFL provides that with nationally televised games on NBC.

Clarett has been in offseason mode since the 2003 Fiesta Bowl, and the AFL will give him a chance to finally play some football. He can't afford to sit around for another year and do nothing.

I have the team that Clarett needs to play for too: the New Orleans VooDoo.

Why? Simple. The VooDoo makes a really sweet mascot.

Clarett can easily lead the league in rushing -the leader only has 320 yards rushing. I want to see some smash-mouth football in the AFL. Enough passing the ball all over the place and scoring 70 points in a game. Clarett has the ability to let a team slow the game down and control time of possession.

If running the football every play doesn't work out, then Clarett can always work on his receiving abilities. A running back in the NFL has to be able to catch the football out of the backfield. A season in the AFL will help Clarett become a receiving threat in the NFL.

Finally, playing in the AFL can give Clarett an opportunity to come back and play a game in Columbus. Wouldn't it be great to see the response that Clarett would get from the sellout crowd in Nationwide Arena?

17 Archives

Kyle Jepson and Kevin Wiseman