Hall of famers named

Ohio University will honor four of its finest student athletes this fall by enshrining its 39th class into the Ohio Athletics Hall of Fame. Paul Baron, Staci Bellville, Shawn Enright and Dave Bucky Wagner were announced as the newest inductees by Director of Athletics Thomas Boeh.

The induction ceremony will take place at the Ohio University Inn on Sept. 24. The inductees will be recognized at halftime of Ohio's football game against Buffalo the next day.

Wagner led the Bobcat football team from 1958-60 as the team's starting quarterback. He guided the team to a perfect 10-0 record his senior year and twice earned All-Mid-American Conference first team honors.

Baron was captain of two of the basketball teams that won 20-plus games four years in a row from 1982-1986. In his freshman and junior years, the Bobcats advanced to the NCAA Tournament. With 579 assists, the guard from Brooklyn, N.Y., finished his career as the Bobcats' all-time leader in that category, only to be surpassed by Dennis Whitaker's total of 651 from 1986-90.

As an outfielder for the softball team from 1993-96, Bellville twice earned a spot on the All-MAC first team, while posting Bobcat career and single-season records. She batted .313 and stole 46 bases in the MAC championship season of 1995.

She was deadly at the plate

coach Roanna Brazier said. She was one of the fastest players I've ever coached.

Brazier described Bellville as a strong defensive player as well as an excellent hitter. She holds the Ohio single-season record for stolen bases (46) and singles (57) and owns career records in stolen bases (110) and runs scored (100).

Enright took home All-American honors twice as a four-year letterwinner on the Bobcat wrestling team from 1994-98. At the 1994 NCAA Tournament, the 126-pound freshman finished fourth in the nation. He earned Team MVP and MAC titles as a freshman and sophomore.

For his final two seasons, Enright served as team captain, winning his third MAC title in 1998. That year, he was the national runner-up at the 134-pound weight class, earning his second All-American honor. Under Enright's leadership, the Bobcats captured four conference team titles. 17

Archives

Mike Stafford