Hip-hop concert to entertain at Palmerfest

The Jumpoff, a local hip-hop concert, returns to Palmerfest this Saturday for its second year with local acts as well as Cleveland's DJ Kut Nyce and the Texas Boyz from Houston.

The event is taking place in a parking lot behind 6 Palmer St., said event organizer Stu Pflaum, an Ohio University senior.

Jim Korte, an OU senior lives at 6 1/2 Palmer St., and is performing at the Jumpoff as part of the duo The Draft Picks.

Last year's event went off without a hitch

said Korte, aside from getting shut down by the police earlier than expected.

He said this year's show would focus more on performances.

Pflaum, who is organizing the sound, stage and entertainment for the concert, said the students who would later form the OU chapter of the Hip Hop Congress organized the first Jumpoff last year. Pflaum, aka DJ X-Plosive, also will be performing at the Jumpoff. He said they will leave a few slots open in the show and they might add a few acts before the event.

Pflaum said the central focus of the event is Athens hip-hop, with performers including the Noble Savages and L.I.F.E., aka Detrick Rhodes, who is also organizing the collaborative event.

Last year's event built momentum for local hip-hop, Pflaum said. This year they had more time to organize the event, a stronger lineup and he expects a larger crowd than the 300 people from last year.

There'll be a lot more people that have interest in attending he said.

Pflaum said they can accommodate 400 to 500 people and a cover charge will be determined soon.

The show is running until 11 p.m., when police can begin to cite residents on their own without a specific noise complaint. Korte said he thought it would be one of the better parties at Palmerfest, because of the music.

It's definitely the main attraction to my party he said.

17

Archives

Megan Chew