Hunter reflects on time at OU

Ohio University alumnus and current Boston Celtic Brandon Hunter recently returned to Athens for Alumni Weekend. The former Bobcat forward said he enjoyed his visit.

It's cool to be back

just seeing everybody again and remembering the college atmosphere Hunter said. It's good to see the guys again and meet some of the new players and the women's team too.

Hunter said he will spend his off-season working out in Cincinnati and playing summer league basketball in Boston.

I just want to work at becoming the best I can be he said. I just want to push myself to the highest limit and be the best I can.

Spending time in Athens led Hunter to recall some of his fondest memories as a Bobcat.

My most memorable moment in college was going down to North Carolina and winning

Hunter said. I had a game-winning shot against Miami; that was pretty cool too. And maybe getting my picture put on the wall (in the basketball office) my sophomore year

as a first-team all-conference player.

Wrestling adds eleven

Two state champions highlight the newest recruiting class for the Ohio wrestling team. Coach Joel Greenlee announced the addition of eleven new wrestlers to the team.

One of the most prominent members of the class, Larry Reichard, took the 2004 Ohio state championship in the 189-pound weight class. The product of New Albany High School finished his senior year with a record of 50-0 and a career mark of 165-14. He placed fifth in the state as a sophomore and third as a junior.

Albert Madsen, who placed third in the High School Nationals at 130 pounds, grabbed the Ohio state championship at 125. His career record stands at 79-18. Madsen hails from St. Edwards High School.

Joey Ellwood, Jesse Irwin, Andrew Monk and Elliot Spence are included in the list of incoming wrestlers who placed highly in the state championship. Spence finished fifth at 140 pounds, Monk placed fourth at 152, and Ellwood and Irwin came in second at 215 and 152, respectively.

Other members of the recruiting class include Jason Conner, Patrick Phelan, Bobby Samsa, Alex Schiff and Tony Spooner. All qualified for state this past season. Jake Frerichs and Andrew Legg signed with the team in December.

Greenlee expressed his excitement with the incoming group of freshmen, and said it was one of the best in the Mid-American Conference.

This is one of the best recruiting classes we've ever had

he said. It's very large

but there's a lot of quality in there.

Ohio inks two forwards

The Ohio women's basketball team rounded out the 2004-2005 recruiting class yesterday, adding a pair of forwards to the squad.

The Bobcats looked westward once again, inking Ciara Iglehart from Saddleback College in Mission Viejo, Calif. Iglehart averaged a double-double in her sophomore campaign last season, posting 15.4 points per game while grabbing 10.5 boards per game. Statistically ranked among the best Division III players in California, Iglehart earned first-team All-Orange Empire Conference in back-to-back seasons at Saddleback College.

Ohio's second recruit will not have to travel quite as far.

Whitney Hale, a 5-foot-11-inch post player, is a three-time first-team Southern Ohio Conference selection. Hale averaged 17.1 points and 9.1 rebounds in a four-year varsity career at Oak Hill High School.

She is a standout off the floor as well. Hale was valedictorian at Oak Hill High School and has been awarded a Cutler Scholarship by the university.

-Laurel Scheffel contributed to this story.

17

Archives

Mike Stafford