Indie band visits Baker

Independent-label rock trio Enon will be playing at the Front Room Saturday, May 8, at 9:00 p.m. as part of Baker Nights.

Programming Assistant for Baker University Center Heather Longenecker, an Ohio University senior, said Saturday's free concert would be one of the largest the Front Room has ever held. The Front Room has hosted other national acts in the past, including K Records' artists Mirah and Jason Anderson.

Longenecker said the Front Room usually hosts regional or local artists at its Saturday night concerts, but funding allowed for the sponsoring of a larger act.

In recruiting a larger band, she said she sent out mass e-mails to many independent-label bands that she had come to know while working with radio station ACRN in the past. Rainer Maria and My Bloody Valentine were some other bands she had considered.

When she received an e-mail reply from band officials she started planning the concert.

ACRN DJ Lena Royale, an OU junior, said the radio station plays Enon's music about five times a day.

According to the band's Web site (http://www.enon.tv), the Athens stop is part of their tour with the band Blood on the Wall.

Enon formed in Brooklyn, New York, and includes members from other indie-rock bands. John Schmersal

former member of the band Brainiac, Toko Yasuda former member of the band Blonde Redhead and Matt Schulz.