Marshall tennis duo advances to championships

Marshall's Jessica Johnson and Ashley Kroh upset the No. 2 seed duo of Jieun Jacobs and Raquel Kops-Jones from the University of California (6-4, 6-3) in the first round at the NCAA Women's Tennis Doubles Championships in Athens, Ga., Tuesday.

They became the first Mid-American Conference team to advance in the NCAA Women's Tennis Championships.

Jacobs and Kops-Jones are ranked seventh nationally in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings.

The win improves Johnson and Kroh's record to 25-2 on the year, while Jacobs and Kops-Jones end their season at 16-6.

Kent State, Toledo to compete at NCAA men's golf championships

Kent State and Toledo will compete at the NCAA Men's Golf Championships June 1-4 at the Cascades Golf Course, The Homestead in Hot Springs, Va.

The Golden Flashes finished 10th at the Central Regional with a team score of 910. Ryan Yip led Kent State with a seventh place finish and a score of 220.

It was the Golden Flashes first appearance at the NCAA championships since 2001 and the ninth time they have advanced out of the Central Regional.

Toledo earned their fourth trip to nationals in seven years, finishing in a seventh place tie with California at the West Regional. They had an 18-over par 882 (286-292-304) for the tournament.

Brad Heaven finished 11th in the field, the highest placing Rocket, with an even-par 216 (70-74-72).

The Rockets highest national finish was 14th in 2002. They also finished 16th in 1999 and 18th in 2001.

Softball academic all-MAC team announced

Faculty athletic representatives named 15 student-athletes to this year's softball academic all-MAC team.

Kent State had four athletes named to this year's team. Members named to the team were Katie Leary (3.97 GPA), Carrie Eneix (3.91), Tracie Logar (3.84) and Marci Ridenbaugh (3.97). Also making the team were Ball State's Kris Burdine (3.78), Buffalo's Breanne Nasti (3.64) and Stacey Evans (3.62) and Bowling Green's Lindsay Heimrich (4.00).

Eastern Michigan's Nikki Denman (3.71) and Genny Hann (3.91) and Western Michigan's Mary McCloskey (3.90), Laura Stewart (3.50) and Jaymie Voss (3.94) are also on this year's team. Rounding out the team are Marshall's Sarah Wilson (3.77) and Northern Illinois's Shelby Bernard (4.00).

To be considered for the team, student-athletes must have excelled in athletics and academics. They must have a 3.20 GPA and have participated in 50 percent of their team's games. First-year and junior college transfers are not eligible.

17 Archives

Julie Goldberg