Miley gets support

CINCINNATI -Jack McKeon signed autographs, loaded up on cigars and reveled in the outpouring of attention when he returned to his one-time home yesterday.

The manager of the defending World Series champion Florida Marlins also put in a plug for Dave Miley.

McKeon noted that Miley had the Reds in first place in the NL Central, with the league's best record overall, when the Marlins arrived to start their three-game series.

Miley has only a one-year contract with an option for 2005. McKeon said the Reds ought to extend his deal without delay.

He's doing a great job there

McKeon said. I was tickled to death when he got the job. If they're smart they've got a good man over there -don't let him get away.

McKeon can speak from experience.

He managed the Reds to 96 victories in 1999 and was the NL's manager of the year, but had to settle for another one-year extension. The front office wasn't willing to make a long-term commitment.

When the Reds finished second in 2000, they fired McKeon and brought in Bob Boone, who presided over the club's demise. Boone and general manager Jim Bowden were fired midway through the first season at Great American Ball Park.

Meanwhile, McKeon was hired in Florida last May and led the Marlins to their championship.

Miley replaced Boone as an interim manager and got his one-year deal at the end of the season. McKeon knows Miley from the Reds organization and respects him.

Sometimes good things happen to good guys McKeon said. I'm happy. I'd like to see him stay here for a long time

but I don't have any control over that.

Miley made sure to seek out McKeon before the game to catch up. McKeon had a cigar in hand when he came out to the field before batting practice.

He's one of the characters of the game

is the best way to put it

Miley said.

17

Archives

The Associated Press