Ohio baseball inks 12

The Ohio baseball team has signed 12 players, including six pitchers, for the 2005 season.

John Angelicchi, Brent DeCoster and Andrew Shisila from Ohio, and Tyler Godwin, David Moyer and Cody Neyman from Pennsylvania will join the Bobcat pitching staff.

Shisila was named one of the top five prospects in Ohio by Buckeye Scout Publishing.

Also making up this year's signing class are infielders Mark Olexa, Kirk Payne and Matt Stiffler from Ohio and Matt Mansilla from Florida.

Buckeye Scout Publishing named Stiffler a top left-handed hitter.

Catchers Jason Selhorst and Brent Simonson have also signed to join the Bobcats next year.

They are outstanding high school players

but college is a whole different ball game coach Joe Carbone said. I have no idea how they are going to do.

They have to make an adjustment from high school to college. We think they are good kids good students

good ballplayers. They have to come in here and beat these guys

so we will see next fall

he said.

Hurler reaches milestone

Ohio pitcher Chris Bova became only the fifth Bobcat in history to strike out 200 batters during his collegiate career when he fanned four batters in Friday's game against Ball State.

He pitched a complete game and allowed four earned runs on six hits.

Bova leads the Bobcats with 65 strikeouts this season. He also has pitched a team high of 81 innings this year.

Hitters near the top

Ohio's Anthony Gressick and Brian Colopy are among Mid-American Conference leaders in several offensive categories.

Gressick is tied for third with 13 home runs and is fourth with a .691 slugging percentage. Colopy is fifth in the MAC with a .490 on-base percentage.

17

Archives

Julie Goldberg