OU union reaches possible agreement with university: Contract waits on final board approval

Ohio University union employees reached a tentative agreement in contract negotiations last night.

The contract, with Local 1699 employees of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), was not up for renewal until February 2005. But union members decided to renegotiate now, before President Robert Glidden and Vice President for Administration and Finance Gary North leave this summer, said Charlie Adkins, Local 1699 president.

This union's had a great relationship with Dr. Glidden and Dr. North

and I wanted to establish a good relationship with the new president coming in Adkins said.

AFSCME represents more than 600 employees, such as cooks, custodial workers, airport personnel, maintenance and grounds employees on the Athens, Chillicothe and Zanesville campuses.

This contract is an extension of the current contract that was in effect, North said. There were no major changes.

The contract will be sent to President Glidden and then to the OU Board of Trustees for final approval at their June 25 meeting.

Union members approved the contract by a margin of four to one, with a vote of 372 to 83, Adkins said.

The contract will not be up for renewal again until 2007.

North also said OU is negotiating with the Fraternal Order of Police.

However, he said it is premature to comment though he is optimistic that they will reach an agreement before the June trustees meeting.

17

Archives

Suzanne Wilder