Production includes eccentric plotline

A savage Scotsman, a Victorian woman with a clubfoot, an androgynous timekeeper, a vicar, biological entrepreneurs and archaeologists are the characters in the Ohio University School of Theater's latest production, Fullest Vigour.

With such an eclectic mix of characters and several plotlines that are woven together, even the show's actors and director Dennis Delaney cannot clearly explain the plot.

The production of the play was being filmed for a documentary, and each cast member was asked to explain the plot in his or her own words, Delaney said.

We all failed miserably

he said.

The first characters presented to the audience are Hephzibah (Tressa Preston) and her fianc+ he said.

The version of Fullest Vigour to be performed tonight at 8 p.m. in the Virginia Hahne Theater in Kantner Hall marks Sheline's fourth major draft of his script, and he said he is happy with the results.

OU senior Ashby Taggart said he revels in his role as the Scottish barbarian, Sandy.

Taggart, a performance major, described his role as somewhere in between William Wallace and Groundskeeper Willy. He's a blood-thirsty madman with a soft side.

Sandy serves as the comic relief among a cast of idiosyncratic characters. The cast has been practicing since the beginning of the quarter to capture the quirky and unconventional tone of the piece.

It's a great cast Taggart said. We're all good friends with the director and writer.

Delaney, who currently is in his second quarter teaching playwriting at OU, has been directing for about 20 years, mostly in professional regional theaters along the East Coast.

17

Archives

Sean Edgar and Magen Howard