Recent setback does not spoil a season of success

There has been a lot of complaining this year about the Ohio Athletics Department. Fans have been voicing their displeasure about the football and basketball teams for their performances the last few years.

Ohio fans have something to be happy about this spring, though. The Ohio softball team has exceeded expectations and has nearly doubled the win total from last year's 10-win season.

I know what you are thinking right now, Who cares about softball? The doubleheader sweeps of Marshall and Miami might not elicit the same excitement that gridiron victories do, but that does not mean that students should ignore this team.

The Bobcats fell on hard times this past weekend, losing three games to Akron. But they still are in position to land a spot in the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

The softball team works just as hard as any other team does and deserves attention from the students. Head coach Roanna Brazier, assistant coach Andrea Costa and graduate assistant Clarissa Crowell have molded this team into a contender for the MAC through hard work during practice.

The Bobcats have what it takes to win in softball with their dominating pitchers.

Natalie Armstrong has been the definition of domination in MAC play this season. She had given up only three earned runs since students returned from spring break, before the last series against Akron. Armstrong is a groundball pitcher, and outfielders have to deal with boredom when she pitches. Against Buffalo, Armstrong pitched seven no-hit innings in one game, and only one Buffalo hitter was able to hit the ball out of the infield.

Kerri Harley also has come on as the season has progressed, lowering her ERA to 2.63. Harley pitched 10 shutout innings in a series against Buffalo this season and followed that up with a complete-game one hitter in a win against Toledo.

Katlyn Mallette signifies what this team is all about. The freshman pitcher went a month between starts. But when Brazier gave her the ball, Mallette stepped up to the challenge and in her next three games pitched 14 straight scoreless innings.

The offense also features stars as well. Centerfielder Erin Chapman leads the team in four major categories. She has team highs in batting average (.325), RBIs (29), home runs (six) and slugging percentage (.516). Second baseman Kiersten Scrima, left fielder Jennifer Tisevich and first baseman Robin Miller are hitting better than .300 as well.

Do not let an opportunity to see an Ohio team succeed pass you by. Go out and watch the Bobcats try to lock up a position to the MAC Tournament this weekend.

-Wiseman is a sophomore journalism major. Send him an e-mail at kevin.a.wiseman@ohio.edu.

17 Archives

Kevin Wiseman