Soccer competes with alumni

The Ohio soccer team defeated a squad of former Bobcats 5-1 in the first-ever Alumni Game Saturday at Chessa Field. The game finished the exhibition season for the team.

Fourteen alumni returned to Athens for the contest. Coach Stacy Strauss said she was pleased with how the event turned out.

It was a lot of fun

Strauss said. It was good to see the old players come back and good for the young players to see there's a history here.

Strauss also said the game helped to prepare the current players for next season.

We played a full 90 minute game she said. We hadn't done that yet. It helped to test the fitness of the current players.

Strauss said she was pleased with how the team finished when they had scoring opportunities. Strong individual performances led the current Bobcats to a win.

(Midfielder) Natalie Grein (midfielder) Gina Siedentopf and (forward) Tiffany Horvath all played great games

Strauss said.

Strauss said the game was more evenly played than the score would suggest.

She added that she would attempt to organize the Alumni Game in subsequent years.

The girls who came back had a good time

she said.

Field Hockey Schedule Released

The Ohio field hockey team recently announced its 2004 schedule, which will feature home games against four powerhouses that finished 2003 ranked in the top 15 of the National Field Hockey Coaches Association Poll.

William and Mary opens the season with a visit to Athens on August 28, while Michigan State, Northeastern and Ohio State also come to town.

Starting at home is definitely a jump start

coach Shelly Morris said. We're young

and playing top-level teams makes us better and stronger.

Mid-American Conference play kicks off on September 26 against Kent State and finishes October 30 at Ball State.

The Bobcats return 12 letterwinners from a team that finished 9-12 in 2003. Last season, the team also made its fourth consecutive appearance in the MAC Tournament championship game.

I think the outlook is bright

Morris said. Hopefully

we can contend for a conference championship.

17