Softball MAC tourney race down to wire

Coach Roanna Brazier thought the Ohio softball team would have clinched its spot in the postseason by now.

I thought that we would take at least two from Akron

she said. I thought we would take both from Eastern (Michigan) because of how well we were playing. There's no way I would ever have thought we'd be in this position coming into Northern Illinois weekend.

One week ago the Bobcats (18-29 overall, 11-11 Mid-American Conference) stood in second place in the MAC East Division after a string of wins against Marshall, Buffalo and Miami. This weekend Ohio faces its most important series of the season, after dropping five straight games to Akron and Eastern Michigan and losing its grip in the standings.

Northern Illinois (14-37, 6-14 MAC) comes to Athens Saturday out of the running for the conference tournament. Brazier said this makes the Huskies dangerous.

These teams that aren't going to be in the tournament there's nothing for them to lose she said. Mentally

I think it's easier to come in as an underdog with nothing to lose than as somebody who has everything to lose. Northern Illinois has never been easy for us

so I don't expect it to be easy again this Saturday.

With two wins against the Huskies, Ohio could clinch the sixth seed in the MAC Tournament and boost its morale going into the postseason.

Obviously it's pretty important for going to the tournament

outfielder Erin Chapman said, but also confidence-wise

ending the season on a good note.

Two wins would guarantee at least a tie with Marshall, against which Ohio won the season series, 2-1. With anything less, the Bobcats will need some help from Kent State, which plays three at Marshall this weekend. Brazier said she'd rather be sure.

We played well enough for three weeks that we were able to get up there in the race

she said. Lately

since we're not playing well

we've been counting on other teams to do poorly as well

and we just can't do that. We have to go out and take care of business ourselves. Our fate is in our own hands.

The Bobcats have the comfort of playing at home Saturday, but they have to deal with the buzz of Senior Day, the Green and White Club tailgate and the StrikeOut Cancer fundraiser, in which donations will be collected for each strikeout a Bobcats pitcher throws in the doubleheader.

Ohio's seniors -shortstop Sarah Melvin, second baseman Kiersten Scrima, catcher Georgia Villard and Chapman -will be recognized before the game. All four have been regular starters this season and for most of their careers at Ohio, but Villard will have to sit out Saturday. She suffered a gash in her leg Wednesday in a collision at the plate. Brazier said she will be on the sideline this weekend and possibly for the remainder of the season.

The MAC Tournament begins next weekend. The top two teams from each division and the next two teams in the conference overall advance. All games in the double-elimination tournament will be held at Akron's Buchtel Field.

To get there, Ohio must first face Northern Illinois. The last doubleheader of the Bobcats' regular season begins at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Ohio Softball Field, with the second game to follow.