Sororities not for the stereotypical

Hi. My name is Caren and I've never smoked, drank even a sip of alcohol or had sex. I'm also in a sorority.

What's wrong with this picture? Only your perception. I'm being entirely truthful. Already you've lumped me into a category -do you go so far as to think I'm blonde? I don't know your stereotypes or impressions about sororities, and I'm taking a good guess you already think me naive for my life decisions; I wasn't born yesterday. I know what people say about sororities because I used to say it, too. But I also know, from both perspectives, what is true and what is false.

I've heard it all, ranging from hazing rituals to secret societies. I myself had a negative image of sororities before I decided to join one, fueled by incorrect assumptions and those who never took the time to figure out fact from fiction.

Coming from an all-girls high school, the concept of a sorority was something I initially wasn't interested in. More importantly, would I belong? The girl with the mousy brown hair and glasses who is more interested in school than boys just didn't seem to fit the stereotype.

Ironically, it was my dad who got me thinking about joining. He was involved in greek life as an undergraduate at Ohio University 30-some years ago. In his words, a fraternity opened him up socially and really brought out the leader within the chemical engineer. And surely, because he was not the typical frat boy

I could be an atypical sorority girl.

Not one to take things as they seem on the surface, I found myself joining a sea of girls during recruitment week last fall.

There is no shame in wanting to belong. We all seek this acceptance in our lives, no matter if we're in band, dance, physics or greek. What I found that week was an organization that took me for me -an organization with diversity in which I didn't have to worry about being myself. We do not all love watching The Bachelor or our weight, and amazingly, we care about our education. I find myself proudly defending this group of girls whenever anyone puts me down for my decision.

So who does fit this stereotypical mold? It's an old adage that touts we are all unique, yet suddenly all of us who have gone greek fit a single mold. I can only speak for my experience, but if I have had it, certainly others have had my experience also.

I didn't change myself for my sorority -that isn't the point, nor is it a good idea. Instead, I decided to expand my horizons and my group of friends, and in doing so, I have only benefited. There was nothing I was forced to do or to become. I'll perpetually be the sober sister because that is my choice. And I'm happy.

-Caren is a junior journalism major who is proud she went greek. Send her e-mail at caren.baginski@ohiou.edu. 17

Archives

Caren Baginski