Greek groups hope to expand membership

At Ohio University, Sigma Gamma Rho does not have massive pledge classes. They do not live in a house filled with other sorority members. Their responsibilities and duties are not spread among multiple hierarchical positions. This is because Sigma Gamma Rho, a historically black sorority, is only composed of two women.

Nikki Brown, president and a senior public relations major, said that the same problems -low membership and a predominantly white campus -face their sorority today as did the seven women who established the national chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho at Butler University, in Indianapolis, Ind., in 1922. The OU chapter was founded Nov. 12, 1978.

It is definitely a challenge

Brown said, with membership at the lowest it has ever been.

I think communication and organization is better. There is a stronger sense of sisterhood -the whole point is bonding Brown said.

Together, Brown and Laraunde Brinkley, a senior early education major, handle all the responsibilities of a greek organization: recruitment, organizing events, hosting events, attending meetings, setting goals, handling paperwork and talking with the administration.

They said the small membership is only temporary and will increase next quarter.

I really hope we can expand our membership to expand and share our sisterhood

said Brinkley.

Kappa Alpha Psi is another greek organization that has dealt with low membership since its establishment at OU in 1966.

Chapter President Julio Cumba said that the fraternity's membership used to average 10 or 12, but Kappa Alpha Psi has not seen that many since before the '90s and membership has continued to decline.

Last year, Kappa Alpha Psi had only three members, including Cumba himself. In the Fall and Winter Quarters of this year they had two, but added four Spring Quarter.

Cumba said financial difficulties, a low minority population and low grades coupled with a disinterest in greek life are reasons for low membership.

It's difficult

but you have to picture: you are running an entire chapter

two people have to hold the face of the fraternity

Cumba said. I can call on any one of my members for help

right now

and I know they will be there.

Cumba said he enjoys having a lower membership than most greek life organizations.

One of the reasons I enjoy it is because of the closeness -that's why I am in a fraternity. People who graduate from large fraternities always say

'That is what I was;' people who graduate from ones like mine say

'That is what I am