Buildings may convert to housing units

The abandoned buildings that used to be Nelsonville's high school and middle school -used for the occasional Nelsonville-York wrestling team practice -may soon be converted to middle-income housing units.

James Ott sees an apartment complex with one-, two-and three-bedroom apartments, a courtyard and a community center. At tonight's city council meeting, he hopes to take another step in making his vision a reality.

It takes a different thought process

said Ott, director of acquisition and development for KG&R Development Corporation. If you've been thinking of something as a school it's hard to think of it as something else.

Ott's proposal would provide 28 housing units, which he stressed will not be for low-income housing. To qualify for housing, applicants must fall into a middle-income range, from $16,000 to $24,000 total household income.

Dorothy Gettle, chairperson of the Nelsonville High School Restoration Foundation, Inc., is excited about the possibility of Ott's proposal.

You just can't believe the hurdles we've been through in the last five years Gettle said. I'm excited to see something happen with those buildings.

`Gettle said the buildings have both been empty for about 10 years. Her organization took over the properties in 1999 and has been working to preserve them ever since.

They are the last two remaining of our five original buildings

Gettle said. We didn't set out to make money in any way; we've all put money of our own into it to keep it going.

KG&R is the third developer to express an interest in the property since the foundation took over. If Ott's proposal goes through, his company will form a partnership with a non-profit organization, which is required to manage the property. He said they are currently talking with two non-profits, but he declined to name them before one is chosen.

The stairways

entrance

windows -the exterior appearance must stay the same to earn the historical preservation tax credit

Ott said. It'll look like it was when it was brand new.

Ott said the application is due in March, and his company will get a decision sometime in July. They will have to complete more paperwork with the Ohio Housing Finance Agency and Ott said construction would start probably in April 2006.

A year would do this project very easily

Ott said.

Nelsonville City Councilman Bill Wend was also optimistic about Ott's plans for the property.

This is the best I've seen so far

Wend said. I'm confident this will really happen.

17