Motives questioned in kidnapping case

The Athens Police Department does not think the Sunday abduction of a Bowling Green State University student was a random event and are looking into possible motives.

Robert Norris, 36, of Zanesville, and Scott Stevens, 36, of Columbus, each are being held at the Southeast Ohio Regional Jail on a $250,000 bond after being arraigned on charges of kidnapping and robbery in Athens County Municipal Court Tuesday, APD Chief Richard Mayer said at a press conference yesterday.

They were arrested at about 4 a.m. Monday after Athens County Sheriff Deputy Jim Heater found the two men and the victim, Kristin Wisler, 22, parked on the side of Route 550, just east of Athens.

The investigation has found that the suspects were driving the wrong way on North Congress Street. Wisler was walking north on North Congress Street near West Carpenter Street at about 10:55 p.m., Sunday, when one of the two suspects grabbed her from behind, Mayer said.

The suspect put his hand over Wisler's mouth, knocked her down onto the street, then forced her into the car's back seat.

One of Wisler's friends witnessed the abduction and reported it to the Athens police at 11 p.m., and APD alerted all local law enforcement agencies with a description of Wisler and the car. APD also alerted a cell phone company to attempt to trace Wisler's cell phone.

After being abducted, Wisler was driven for about 45 minutes to a residence in Morgan County, Mayer said. Stevens, who was paroled Dec. 1 after spending about 2 1/2 years in prison for aggravated robbery and carrying a weapon under disability, has relatives in Southeast Ohio. It was reported that there were three other people at the residence where Wisler was taken, but Mayer would not say who they were because it is part of the ongoing investigation. No charges have been brought against these three people yet.

After spending time at the residence, Wisler was driven back toward Athens, which is when Heater spotted the car, Mayer said. No weapons were found on the suspects.

Wisler stated her only injuries were from her head being forced into the pavement during her abduction

Mayer said.

Wisler did not know the two kidnappers, and the police do not think her boyfriend, who she was visiting at the time, knew them either. Mayer would not comment as to any threats that were made to Wisler or if drugs were involved in the incident.

Multiple phone calls were made to and from Wisler's cell phone during the abduction until the two suspects took the phone from her, APD officer Rick Olexa said.

Tracing her cell phone gave the police a general idea where she might be, Mayer said.

Both men had been seen Uptown earlier in the evening, and police received Stevens' name as a possible suspect before the men and Wisler were found, Mayer said.

APD received a report at 2:05 a.m. Saturday involving a similar case, where a young woman was reported as being beaten and forced into a car in the Dale's BP parking lot, 50 N. Court St. APD and the sheriff's department's further investigation of the complaint revealed an uncooperative victim who stated she was not assaulted and the witnesses were lying Mayer said.

At this time the incident is believed to have been a domestic situation between family members of suspect Scott Stevens

he said.

The case against Norris and Stevens will be presented to the Athens County grand jury Monday.

17

Archives

Lindsey Nelson