Ohio stumbles, falls to second place in MAC

What started off as a strong Mid-American Conference season for the women's basketball team -the lead in the MAC East Division -has slowly started to diminish with each loss.

Ohio (7-10 overall, 3-3 MAC), which led the East Division heading into Saturday's game, was dealt its second loss in a row as the team was defeated by Eastern Michigan (13-3 overall, 3-2 MAC), 93-61. With the loss, the Bobcats fell back to second in the standings, tied with Kent State.

The Bobcats and Eastern Michigan were evenly matched during the first four minutes of play as the teams fought for the lead, which the Eagles were able to gain by a small margin of 13-12.

Eastern Michigan, though, went on a 32-8 run against the Bobcats, building a 45-24 lead. Ohio was down by as much as 21 points during the first half and Eastern Michigan held on to its commanding lead, making it 49-30 at the half.

It was much of the same during the second half as Ohio was unable to break the Eagles' stride, who led by 33 points with less than five minutes remaining. The Bobcats were able to score a few more times, but so were the Eagles and the game came to a close with the final score, 93-61.

Forward Kristian Kirkpatrick led the Bobcats offensively with 11 points. Guard Simone Redd and forward Lauren Revesz both chipped in 10 points. Forward Erin Isbell pulled down six rebounds and guard Quintana Ward led the team with five assists.

Ohio committed 15 turnovers, seven below its season average, and shot 36.5 percent from the floor. The team had a total of seven steals, 35 rebounds and nine assists.

The Eagles were led by forward Nikki Knapp, who had 21 points and 10 rebounds for a double-double. The team shot 55.7 percent from the floor and made 34-of-64 shots.

The Bobcats will have a week to recover from the loss and then will play host to Buffalo in MAC play. Tip-off is set for 1 p.m. Saturday in The Convo.

-Abbey Smith

17 Archives

Abbey Smith