Swimmers return to conference action

As the Ohio women's swimming and diving team continues to get back into peak condition for the Mid-American Conference Championships, they return to conference action this weekend against Bowling Green.

Coach Greg Werner said he would like to see the women's team (6-1-1 overall, 2-1-1 MAC) build on last weekend's win against Ohio State and get better with every competition.

He said the team has to be ready to perform, as he expects Bowling Green to be fast in the butterfly and sprint and distance freestyle events, as well as the 200-yard freestyle relay.

Bowling Green is a school that took us to the last relay last year

he said. We have to expect them to do the same thing they did last year and to challenge us in every event and take it to the last relay.

Werner said that at this point in the season, solid performances are important as well as winning as the swimmers are still tired from the intense winter break training.

We are just starting to get them out into racing shape and the championships are where they are going to be peaking he said. Winning is always a great thing -it's great for confidence

it's great for the ego -but if I could have one or the other

I would have better performances.

Michaela Hahn-Lawson, who was named MAC Swimmer of the Week, said she hopes to duplicate her performances from last weekend when she won three events.

This weekend I would like to perform well

she said. I would like to take first in all my races because I think it would help the team win the meet.

Werner said he expects the dual meet to be a close competition this year.

I am looking forward to a great competition

he said. I anticipate it going down to the last relay

just like last year

so I'm excited to see how the team responds after a big weekend.

The Bobcats will swim Bowling Green at 1 p.m. Saturday in the Aquatic Center.

17