Women triumph, men plummet

The Ohio women's swimming and diving team used a strong start, winning nine of the first 11 events, to defeat Mid-American Conference opponent Marshall 172-126 Saturday in Huntington, W. Va.

Melissa Dunn, Michaela Hahn-Lawson, Barbara de Sa and Ilse Petersen got the Bobcat women (7-1-1 overall, 3-1-1 MAC) their first win of the day in the 200-yard medley relay with a season-best time of 1:49.07. Distance freestyler Jessica Waites then came from behind to win the second event, the 1000 freestyle.

Coach Greg Werner said winning the first two events set the tone for the rest of the meet.

It's always better to be in front instead of having to play catch-up

he said.

Ilse Petersen, who won the 200 and 500 freestyle events, said she was happy with her times this weekend compared to the ones she swam two weekends ago against Ohio State.

I think I was still tired from all the training two weeks ago she said. We are doing less training now so my body was more rested this weekend.

Hahn-Lawson was the other two-event winner for the Bobcats, finishing first in the 100 and 200 breaststroke events.

Dunn, Simone Swanepoel and Sigal Simsolo also won individual events. Diver Debbie Thornbury was victorious in the 3-meter springboard and was second on the 1-meter event.

Ohio also had five 1-2 finishes against the Thundering Herd.

Werner said he was happy with the way the team swam, with it being the first time Ohio had swam at Marshall's pool.

There was a lot of enthusiasm there from their fans

so it was a hostile environment for the team

he said. I'm proud of how the ladies handled it.

The Ohio men (1-5, 0-3 MAC) recorded season-best times in five events, winning four individual events, but lost to rival Miami 177-119. Even with the loss, Werner said he was happy with the final times, but not necessarily how they were achieved.

Hopefully next weekend we can combine the way we won events last time with the times we swam this weekend

and it would be the best we've been all year

he said.

Sprint freestyler Donald Jupp won the 50 and 100 freestyles in season best times. He said he performed better this weekend than he has recently and said the team did well even though they lost.

I swam the best times I have done all year

he said. The team also swam well and had some good times.

Luke Herlehy won the 1000 freestyle with teammates Brett Stetson and Jamie Suter finishing second and third. Herlehy also finished second in the 400 individual medley, recording a season-best time of 4:16.65. Mike Shelby added another Bobcat victory in the 100 butterfly.

Diver Rick Wade finished second in the 3-meter diving event and third in the 1-meter springboard event.

The Ohio men and women wrap up their regular seasons against Ball State at 1 p.m. Saturday. The women also swim Miami at 5 p.m. Friday.

17

Archives