Reception, symposium closes grad student ceramics show

The closing reception for Exchange

the Ohio University Regional Ceramics show, will be Saturday.

The show, which consisted of art by graduate students from Kent State University, Edinboro University, The Ohio State University, West Virginia University, Bowling Green State University and OU, was the idea of graduate ceramics student Colleen Toledano.

Prior to the closing reception, there will be a symposium featuring visiting artist Laura McLaughlin, a graduate student whose art was on display as well as other graduate students.

McLaughlin will speak and show slides of her work starting at noon. Following McLaughlin at 2 p.m., the graduate students will also speak and show slides. The students' presentations should be around five to eight minutes long.

The closing reception will begin after the presentations at 5 p.m.

Toledano pitched the idea to art professor Brad Schweiger, who helped in an advisory position. Toledano, along with graduate students Lea Zoltowski and Tannaz Farsi, organized the event with the other schools.

The exhibit is composed of work by 17 second-year graduate students, including three from OU: Zoltolwski, Frank Saliani and Rachel Euting. Each student was allowed to select two pieces for display, and the pieces range from wall-mounted creations to small pieces of pottery.

Toledano said only second-year graduate students were invited because it's not first year and it's usually not their last year so they kind of have this leeway time to make work.

Ohio State, Bowling Green, Kent State and OU have participated in a slide exchange and symposium in past years. The exhibit was a new idea that has been pioneered this year.

The students were each allocated $50 to cover the expenses of getting their work to the gallery.

It's a networking thing where students can get to know each other. And so later when they're in the field

and they're out there working

they'll know each other

Schwieger said.

The exhibit and symposium can be a valuable asset for the participating students by allowing them to view

the range of ideas being explored in ceramics.

The goal is to be able to see what's happening regionally in our field

Tannaz said.

The exhibit has been on display in the OU Art Gallery on the fifth floor of Seigfred Hall since Jan. 11.

17

Archives

Matt Canady