Boeh leaves impressive facilities for athletics

Though leaving Ohio, former Bobcat Director of Athletics Thomas Boeh has permanently made his mark with athletic facilities for student-athletes.

Boeh announced May 13 that he had accepted a director of athletics position for California State University, Fresno. Boeh had been Ohio's director of athletics since July 1995.

He is a big idea guy

said Ohio basketball assistant coach John Rhodes, a 1988 Ohio graduate. He is a doer and makes things happen.

Under Boeh's leadership, several innovative facilities were constructed.

These amenities include Bob Wren Stadium, Goldsberry Track, Pruitt Field, Chessa Field and locker rooms, the Women's Softball Complex, the Joan and Wallace Phillips Academic Services Center and the Dr. Steve and Kathy Carin Strength and Conditioning Center.

It has been a benefit two-fold Ohio soccer coach Stacy Strauss said about the construction of Chessa Field less than two years ago. One it has been nice for the recruitment of new players. It gives us something to showcase and is indication of backing from the department. Two

it is great for the current players. They feel comfortable that the new field isn't going to be choppy or bumpy to play on.

Boeh instigated renovations to many existing Ohio facilities. Peden Stadium was expanded with 10,000 more seats, better lighting, an electric scoreboard, a FieldTurf surface and a video screen under his supervision.

It is really nice to run in a new facility and on a new surface

track and field coach Clay Calkins said. Before Goldsberry track was built in 1999

track and field ran inside Peden Stadium.

Largely in part to Boeh, improvements to Ohio's facilities have aided in the steady improvement in Bobcat athletics.

As a former student-athlete here at Ohio

I think it's a tremendous upgrade

Rhodes said. If I was a prospect student-athlete

I would want to play here.

Boeh left Ohio athletics at its most productive peak in 10 years; Ohio men's basketball reached NCAA tournament for the first time since 1994 and former Nebraska coach Frank Solich was hired to coach Ohio football, among other achievements.

I think we will certainly carry on with a lot of the things that Tom has instilled in the sports program

Strauss said. He had a commitment to facilities and equity in athletics.