Trimble school district considers levy options to support music, art

Trimble Local School District might have to ask tax payers to pass a $5 million-improvement levy for the school district on the November ballot. Until then several of the district's supplemental positions, including an elementary music teacher, remain on hold, district Superintendent Jack Loudin said at last night's school board meeting.

The state auditor approved Trimble's five-year forecast, but the budget does not include funding for necessary replacement buses, textbooks or new technology, Loudin said.

Because it would cost the district more than $35,000 each for buses, textbooks, emergency repair and technology, Trimble needs to look at putting a levy on the ballot, he said.

I'm in agreement with Jack and Cindy (Rhonemus

district treasurer) board president Sherry Downs said. After talking to the county auditor our other option is -there is no other option.

Rhonemus recommended the levy be a continuing levy.

If you do limit the levy to five years you're not going to be able to do the things you want to do your going to have to pick and chose she said.

If the board decides at a later meeting to put a levy on the November ballot, it will have to be submitted by the last week of August.

The positions currently on hold by the district are not being eliminated but currently will not be filled next school year. These positions include the elementary school music coordinator and the yearbook coordinator. Loudin also discussed the possibility of putting the position of drama coordinator and art coordinator on hold.

Debbie Koons, standing in for district teachers' union president Linda Craddock, showed concern about the elementary school music programs, especially the elimination of the musical.

You guys have been there

(at the musical)

you know what the parking lot is like

she said.

The musical was an important event for parents to be involved with the school district, especially if the district is going to try and pass a levy, Koons said.

As the substitute for the union president Koons also expressed concern about the lack of continuing contracts given to qualified staff members.

Loudin said he could not comment much about the issue because the union has filed a grievance.

The board also approved four continuing contracts submitted by Loudin for teachers whose five-year contracts had ended. Koons said this was a violation of the board's contract with the teachers, because according to the teachers union contract, the board can give continuing contracts to teachers as soon as they qualify, not when their contracts end.

17

Archives

Katy Ganz