No strings attached

It is an emerging trend on college campuses nationwide, and in less than a year, if the Computer Network Services timetable is accurate, Ohio University's main campus will be completely wireless. Now about 55 percent wireless, the Athens campus is slated to feature complete wireless coverage by July 2006. That is a desirable goal and it is admirable that OU is now pursuing it with renewed ardor. According to Sean O'Malley, IT Communications manager, it will cost about $400,000 to complete the wireless transition. The results of the upgrade are well worth its cost. Freeing up the entire campus will only prove beneficial to everyone and will appropriately launch Ohio University into the twenty-first century.

It will be nice for OU students to be able to say their entire campus is wireless at a time when the feature is not yet everywhere. According to a recent edition of Campus Technology, a magazine focusing on the use of technology in higher education, complete wireless coverage is not widespread at this point. However, it is gaining national momentum and will eventually be the norm because of its typically low cost and all-around convenience. The world's largest, free, public wireless network exists here in Ohio at Case Western Reserve University. It is only fitting that OU follow suit in offering its students similar convenience.

A few schools lagging behind in offering their students broadband service at the turn of the millennium actually chose to skip the wired stage altogether and go wireless after assessing the lower cost. However, proponents of traditional wired service need not fear. CNS has stated that wireless service will supplement, rather than replace, its predecessor. After all, wired connections are usually faster and more secure. But the appeal of wireless service, of course, lies in its freedom from wires and increased mobility. For the on-the-go student or professor, the wireless option is a welcome one.

17 Archives

Full-wireless plan a positive step