Police sting leads bars to crack down on minors

Several Uptown bars have been stepping up efforts to curb underage drinking after the Athens Police Department cited four businesses for furnishing alcohol to minors last weekend.

According to a report released by APD, Red Brick Tavern, 14 N. Court St.; Union Bar & Grill, 18 W. Union St.; Skipper's Bar & Grill, 22 W. Union St.; and Dale's BP, 50 N. Court St. furnished alcohol to people under 21 who were sent in by APD last Thursday through Sunday. Bar tenders at these establishments were cited by APD.

APD used a sting operation in which the department sent in underage people to attempt to buy alcohol, said Athens police Chief Richard Mayer. Underage people also were sent into Buffalo Wild Wings Grill and Bar, O'Hooley's Pub and Brewery, Union Street Market, Courtside Pizza, Atheneon Carry Out & Deli and The Crystal.

It is the prerogative of Lt. Roger Deardorff, who runs APD's night shift, to conduct those types of operations, Mayer said.

Though APD officers commonly enter Uptown bars, sting operations like this are uncommon, said Joel Schechtman, owner of Skipper's and The Blue Gator.

It's tough for both parties

Schechtman said. It's tough for the bar owners ... but APD understandably has to do their job as well.

After being busted by APD, Red Brick Tavern has changed its policy from letting in students aged 18 and over to only allowing students in who are 21 and over after 10 p.m.

In a town with such a high student population, it can be difficult to stop underage drinking, Schechtman said.

According to preliminary statistics from the Ohio University Office of Institutional Research, OU's Athens campus has 12,951 students under 21 and 6,732 students over 21 this quarter.

Even over-21 bars may have trouble with underage students, because it's a matter of who they let in Mayer said.

Some bar workers in charge of checking ID's at the door might chose to let underage students in, he said.

According to Ohio law, bartenders must check ID's before selling every drink.

Fake ID's are especially problematic for bartenders, Schechtman said.

You can definitely educate workers as to what fake ID's look like he said, but that is not guaranteed to stop all underage people from entering bars.

The bartenders cited for serving alcohol to underage people could also have their bars cited by the Liquor Control Commission. The penalty for such a citation could range from a small fine to revoking the bar's liquor license.

Despite last weekend's charges, some people doubt that underage drinking in Athens will stop.

There are so many people with fake ID's or who know bouncers

said OU graduate and Athens resident Kevin Stickel.

Even if APD can prevent underage drinking in bars, students said that will not curb underage drinking.

Bars aren't really the only place to drink in Athens

OU freshman Katie Cibon said.

The only way to stop underage drinking in bars is for APD to work with local businesses, Schechtman said. APD's action last weekend was reactive

instead of proactive

he said.

Bars that offer entertainment, such as The Blue Gator, actually might prevent underage drinking by giving students something to do on the weekend, Schechtman said.

17

Archives

Elyse Ball