School policy targets prescription drug abuse

Alexander High School is spending $25,000 a year to implement a drug testing policy focused on reducing the number of students abusing drugs, especially prescription drugs.

The policy, which has been in place for about four months, requires that athletes, cheerleaders and students who drive to school participate in drug testing.

Last year we had several kids test positive for prescription drugs that were not prescribed to them

school board President David Kasler said.

Along with the testing, a committee composed of guidance counselors and students has been working to improve ways of educating students about drugs and alcohol.

We know that the old programs were not effective in the way they were being implemented Kasler said. The Supreme Court says that you can test students who are participating in a privilege. If they don't want to participate in the drug testing they can elect to not participate in the privilege.

Some students who oppose the policy are finding ways to get around it.

I used to park in the school lot

but now I park in a lot across from the school

senior Natalie Schell said. I think that [drug testing] is a waste of money

and they didn't take enough input from the community before they implemented the policy.

Before the policy was put into place, the school board took careful measures to ensure that it was legally sound. The policy was created by a committee of administrators, teachers and parents, and it was sent to a law firm who reviewed it and recommended changes.

We wanted to make sure that our policy was in fact legal

and if it was challenged

it would hold up in court

Kasler said.

There has been some opposition to the policy from the American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio and members of the community.

Schell's parents are members of the Alexander Citizens for a Responsive School Board. The group is raising community awareness about the policy and supporting school board candidates who they feel will represent the community in opposing the policy.

As it stands now, only one of the five Alexander School Board members, Fred Davis, opposes the drug testing policy. However, two of the members that supported drug testing, Synthia Clary and Stephen Thomas, are up for re-election in November.

I don't really know anyone actually for it

they're either against it or they really don't care. A lot of the students are upset

but the majority gave in