Theft in Seigfried leads to restricted hours, more security

A recent increase in theft and vandalism at Seigfred Hall has resulted in restricted hours and increased security measures.

Incidents such as intentional flooding, bricks thrown through windows, vulgar graffiti and theft prompted the School of Art on Oct. 14 to restrict the building's hours from a former 24-hour policy. Although similar incidents have occurred at a rate of about one act a year, in the past six months, Seigfred has experienced seven or eight such acts, said Bob Lazuka, director of the School of Art.

Twice this year, a perpetrator used sinks in the second-floor photography darkrooms to flood the floor section. Water leaked down to the first floor, damaging primarily ceramic classrooms. Walls and shelves will require renovation from both the recent water damage and long-term wear and tear, Lazuka said. Several pieces of student artwork were destroyed as well.

An e-mail sent out to art students Oct. 24 requested that students secure their belongings and report any suspicious activities. On Oct. 28, a brick was thrown through a window on the first floor. The previous week, another brick destroyed first floor glass doors.

In response, the School of Art has met with the Ohio University Police Department, who agreed to increase patrols around the art building, and Access Control, which manages OU mechanical and electronic access systems, to discuss increasing security within the building, Lazuka said.

The difficulty in securing the (art) building is that it is situated at the foot of a hill

and we have a lot of non-art student traffic Lazuka said. An elevator in Seigfred is frequently used by students to avoid climbing Jefferson Hill.

Multiple entrances and outdated locks are other reasons security needs to be updated, Lazuka said.

Even with the building now locked at midnight during the week and 8 p.m. Friday through Sunday, students have found ways to bypass the restrictions.

Not all the doors are locked said Mariel Frankl, a sophomore general art major. I've seen students working past hours. I was in myself last week.

Frankl, who had a piece of artwork stolen last year from a ceramics class, said at least three other students from the class had work stolen also.

During Winter Intercession, new electronic keypads will be installed as well as a new security alarm system. Of the systems being considered, the cheapest costs $10,000, Lazuka said.

Some rooms, including many graphic design labs, already have locks that require a code for entrance. These are in place because of specific departmental requests and expensive equipment, Lazuka said. The art department plans to extend this system to the whole building.

An individual, stand-alone lock that requires a code for access costs $470, said Penny Trace, director of auxiliary business operations. Installation and programming are charged per hour and usually amounts to $55 for the first installation, she said.

With such a system, Lazuka said it is possible the art building might restrict its hours even more, possibly closing at 5 p.m., which would limit access to only those with key codes.

It still is unsure from where funds for updated security will come. Because Seigfred is an older building on campus, built in 1962, there are no extra funds for renovations, Lazuka said.

17

Archives

Laura Yates