Palmer residents, police prepare for weekend fest

At 3 p.m. on a spring weekday, Palmer Street is relatively quiet except for a few men in sleeveless shirts out in their front yard, tossing beanbags into a cornhole set. For someone unfamiliar with Ohio University, it would be hard to believe that at the same time tomorrow, the tree-lined street will be overflowing with people, booming bass and booze-soaked euphoria.

Thousands of OU students and guests will gather tomorrow for Palmerfest, a street party that has become a spring staple in Athens - both for hosting notoriously good times and a notoriously bad near-riot that shut down the fest last year.

Police estimated between 6,000 and 10,000 people attended last year's fest where officers and undercover agents arrested 74 people. Students lit several fires on the street, and threw bottles at firefighters and police who arrived to extinguish it.

Palmer Street resident and OU junior Alex Couch has been anticipating hosting her own fest since freshman year, when her sister lived in the same house; however, she plans on avoiding a repeat of last year.

We don't want to start a fire

said Couch, who is studying sport management. I want to party until 3 in the morning and not get it canceled.

Couch and the five other women that currently live with her on Palmer have had the chance to see firsthand how to prepare for a Palmerfest party - thanks to Couch's sister.

With her sister living here last year we were able to see how they party-proofed her house said Morgan Lyles, a senior studying public relations and one of Couch's roommates. We're going to try to keep (the house) locked as much as possible.

With at least two years of fest experience under their belts, Couch and Lyles said they knew what they were getting into signing a lease on the street, and began planning their Palmerfest party immediately. Most of the early planning involved getting jobs, as the roommates will pay for their 10 Palmerfest kegs almost entirely out their own pockets, Couch said.

It's like our duty (to throw a Palmerfest party)

Lyles said. It's pretty much in the lease. Really

when you move in

you start thinking about it.

A formal stipulation in the women's lease involves staying off their roof - a clause that is supported by a recently passed city ordinance requiring partygoers to get off the roof if police cite them for violations of the city noise, disorderly conduct or nuisance party ordinance. Police will also be on hand at Palmerfest to make sure the party stays under control.

We'll be there

that's about all I can tell you

said Captain Tom Pyle of the Athens Police Department in mid-April. We worry about (fests getting out of hand) every year

but do I expect it this year? No.

Lyles advised Palmerfest attendees not to be afraid of the police presence but rather embrace it.

If somebody is sloppy and starting a fight

I'll be like

'Back off!' But that's when it can get dangerous if people won't reach out to the police